Which Combo to Choose?

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Currently, my wife's PC has a AXP 3200+ Barton with an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard. I have the option between this hardware, and an A64 3000+ Venice and Asus K8N motherboard. All the other components would remain the same between the two systems. Which do you think I should choose, and why?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    A64 3000+ all teh way :D , newer Gen, memory controller on the chip ..
    64bit goodness, faster folderreerrr :smokin:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    ^^^^
    Ditto. :wave:
  • edited April 2006
    Definitely A64. AXP is so last year. :D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    yup the CPU is your friend! for the reason above! :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    The A64 will use modern instruction sets (SSE3 and such) that the Barton doesn't.
    edited April 2006
    I should have paid a little more attention to the question before I posted. :doh:

My reasons:

Besides agreeing with everything citrixmeta said, I think that once 64-Bit apps become more mainstream you'll be awfully glad to be able to run them. :thumbsup:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    My only hesitations are:

1. It's only a socket-754 A64, so I'd go from dual-channel ram to single
    2. She'd be dropping from 2.2 to 2.0 GHz
    3. It would go from Soundstorm audio to C-media or some crap

But, if you guys insist...
    edited April 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    My only hesitations are:

1. It's only a socket-754 A64, so I'd go from dual-channel ram to single
    2. She'd be dropping from 2.2 to 2.0 GHz
    3. It would go from Soundstorm audio to C-media or some crap

But, if you guys insist...
    Why not Socket 939?

As for the apparent 10% clock speed difference:

A) The newer generation of chip should more than make up for it
    B) You wouldn't notice it even if it didn't - until -
    C) Those 64-Bit apps appear in greater numbers
    edited April 2006
    It's going to be a Socket-754 because I've had the motherboard for a few years. I'd be upgrading her mostly with parts we already have sitting around on a shelf. The CPU I'd have to buy new because I dropped the old one and bent about half the pins.
    edited April 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    ...The CPU I'd have to buy new because I dropped the old one and bent about half the pins.
    Did you try to straighten them? Just so you know, I've gotten to be pretty good at that over the years. :cool:
    edited April 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Did you try to straighten them? Just so you know, I've gotten to be pretty good at that over the years. :cool:

I tried, and failed. A few of them got a little too easy to move, so I stopped. I tell you what, I'll send it to you. If you can straighten out the pins, consider the CPU a contribution to the SMx parts bin. It's a 130nm core 3000+, Winchester, I think.

I'm going to a LANWAR this weekend, but I'll ship it off to you early next week. Hopefully you can straighten this sucker out and it will make a nice addition to the SMx project. :thumbsup:
    edited April 2006
    I'll be glad to give it a shot, but there's no need to donate it. If you're bound and determined to do something (assuming I'm successful), you could donate a small percentage of what you would have paid for a replacement to the SMx Fund. :thumbsup:
    edited April 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    I'll be glad to give it a shot, but there's no need to donate it. If you're bound and determined to do something (assuming I'm successful), you could donate a small percentage of what you would have paid for a replacement to the SMx Fund. :thumbsup:

I'd already written it off as a hopeless case. Besides, if you do all the work of straightening the pins and it actually works out, I'd much rather the chip go to a more worthy cause than myself!

Plus, I'd like to see the points that it could churn out for the SMx project! :vimp:
    edited April 2006
    Alright - I'll say UNCLE - have it your way! ;D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    It's going to be a Socket-754 because I've had the motherboard for a few years. I'd be upgrading her mostly with parts we already have sitting around on a shelf. The CPU I'd have to buy new because I dropped the old one and bent about half the pins.
    That in itself is reason not to consider that route as an upgrade. I would say that any board or CPU core over 1 yr old is too old for any upgrade. Auvtion or sell all old parts and invest in current socket 939 parts. You could get a 3200 Venice core and board for about $225 or so. The only kicker is the vid card unless you found an AGP board.

BTW
    A socket 754 CPU would be a Newcastle or Clawhammer core. Venice is 939 only.

The dual channel in an NF2 board is only marinally better than single channel. But a single channel with the memory controller on the chip is better yet as opposed to a NB controller.
    edited April 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    That in itself is reason not to consider that route as an upgrade. I would say that any board or CPU core over 1 yr old is too old for any upgrade. Auvtion or sell all old parts and invest in current socket 939 parts. You could get a 3200 Venice core and board for about $225 or so. The only kicker is the vid card unless you found an AGP board.

BTW
    A socket 754 CPU would be a Newcastle or Clawhammer core. Venice is 939 only.

The dual channel in an NF2 board is only marinally better than single channel. But a single channel with the memory controller on the chip is better yet as opposed to a NB controller.

That's a good point, Larry. I suppose I'd be better off donating the CPU with bent pins to the SMx bin, selling off the socket-754 board, and buying her a socket-939 board and CPU. Heck, I might go all the way and sell off the video card too and upgrade her to PCIE.

This is the newegg listing for the CPU, that's why I thought that it was a Venice core 754 chip.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Yep, there is a 3000+ Venice. Its pretty much the only revision 'E' 754 processor (with the exception of the sempron models)
    edited April 2006
    I didn't think yours was as I am beleiving it to be older than 6 months or so.
    edited April 2006
    Nope, the one I have now is not a Venice, but that's what I would have bought if I upgraded her to 754 stuff.
    edited April 2006
    If your wife isn't too picky something along the line of what I helped Al Capown with would be a decent starting point. You could just use the parts you need and customize the rest to suit.
    edited April 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    If your wife isn't too picky...
    How picky could she be? After all, she married him... :vimp:
  • rykoryko new york
    edited April 2006
    this is funny-- i need to do the same thing and upgrade my girlfriends pc. she will be keeping her current 80gb and dvd/cd-rw. currently she has a 5 year old gateway p4 willy 1.5ghz w/ 512mb pc800rdram...don't ask.

max budget = $300

here's what i came up with.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130529

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231030

now on the other hand i think you have to consider intel b/c you can go dual core for roughly the same price..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819116001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131590

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820231050