ATI9700 and graphics issue

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Good afternoon all.

I have been having a problem with my graphics when I begin to play a certain online game such as Final Fantasy XI. I've reviewed a few of the posts around but none really pertain to the same problem.

First and foremost, my graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700. I tried upgrading the driver but it states that there is no current upgrade.

For the issue at hand, whenever I play the game and try to "zone" into a new area (where they would have to download data into the server), my music stops and a blue screen comes up saying:

A problem has been detected and Windows has to shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by this file: ati3duag.dll

Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

Disable BIOS Memory options such as caching & Shadowing.

I appreciate you taking time out to examine this issue.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I haven't heard of this issue, But I will try to look into it... Guys this could be a hard one :)

Let me ask you a few more questions...

- Entire comp spesc
    - What version of windows
    - Are the windows updates current
    - Has this always happened
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    Well, so far I have found 4 possiabilities that could cause this error.

1.) Corrupt driver (easiest fix). Uninstall the driver, then go into safe mode and make sure the physical device is uninstalled from Device Manager. Then reinstall the device/drivers.

2.) Bad RAM stick. Run memtest from a floppy and see if it finds any errors.

3.) Failing CPU. It could be failing when it's tapping the CPU for resources.

4.) Bad Grafix Card. If you can get your hands on another graphics card of the same or nearly the same type, then switch them out and see if the problem continues.

You can try these 4 steps and that should really narrow the playing field down. This doesn't yet sound like a PSU issue, but I can't tell you that forsure without knowing your system specs.
    edited April 2006
    Also, are you downloading the driver streight from the ATI website?
  • edited April 2006
    Ok I hope I don't miss any information. Let's see first and foremost:

Entire comp. specs: I'm assuming it's this?
    Dell Inspiron I9100 Intel(R) Pentimum 4 CPU 2.80 GHz
    2.79 GHz, 512 GB of RAM
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Verison 2002 Service Pack 2
    All Windows Updates are recent ^^
    Has never happened to me before but has been occurring for the past week.

I haven't downloaded anything from the main ATI website. I've been using Control Panel---> System ---> Hardware ---> Device Manage and upgraded from there.

I'll try out the four methods you proposed thanks.
    edited April 2006
    You have to actually have to have an updated driver on your comp before you can use the Device Manager method, and thats not really a good way to update a graphics driver.

If you download the newest driver from AIT then it will have an auto-install once you start it.
  • edited April 2006
    Ah ok, I'll check out the main site and let you know.

Also none of the four steps worked for me. Borrowed my brother's video card (he bought the same laptop at the same time).
  • edited April 2006
    When I attempt to install the newest upgrade I got this message:

Severe
    INF Error
    Video Driver not found

Setup was unable to complete the installation.
    Try to set up your display adaptor with a standard VGA driver before running setup.