Huge Folding@Home Work Unit?

ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Folding@Home
Uh is it usual to process a 20,000 pt work unit?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    Are you sure that's not 20K Frames?

What Protein is it?
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    it is a gromacs core

maybe it is just how much work it takes, what determines how many points it is worth?
    edited April 2006
    Zanthian wrote:
    it is a gromacs core
    It should have a number, like p1152, etc.
    maybe it is just how much work it takes, what determines how many points it is worth?
    Most likely "Frames". Think of them as being similar to frames in a movie.

Stanford uses an Intel reference machine to calculate the relative amount of time it takes to finish the WU, then assigns points accordingly. If you have an AMD rig you'll want to reconfigure your client for WU's w/o deadlines - you'll see a significant increase in production. :cheers:
  • chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
    edited April 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    If you have an AMD rig you'll want to reconfigure your client for WU's w/o deadlines - you'll see a significant increase in production. :cheers:

I have an AMD rig. Could you explain more about how to reconfigure my client for WUs without deadlines and how/why that increases production?

Thanks!
    Chip
  • mike047mike047 Zirconia, NC
    edited April 2006
    I have an AMD rig. Could you explain more about how to reconfigure my client for WUs without deadlines and how/why that increases production?

Thanks!
    Chip

It depends on the client and your OS as to how you reconfigure.

A little more information and I can help you, I think.

Some boxes will be better producers with timeless and others won't. Most of my Sempron/Linux boxes do well with timeless. XP mobiles also do well with timeless. My bigger Athlons like Gromacs and double gromacs. Amount of memory sometimes is a factor. Windows xp is faster on the average than Linux XANDROS on timeless.

mike
    edited April 2006
    I have an AMD rig. Could you explain more about how to reconfigure my client for WUs without deadlines and how/why that increases production?...
    mike047 wrote:
    It depends on the client and your OS as to how you reconfigure...
    Answer mike047's questions and we'll get you going. :)

It's a bit of an oversimplification, but the main reason that deadlineless WU's (all Tinkers) perform better on AMD rigs is that the core program used to crunch the Gromacs (and other non-Tinker WU's) has been optimized for Intel-based machines. The licensing agreement for the program precludes modifying it for an AMD-optimized version. If you're a baseball fan, think of it as being roughly analogous to stacking your lineup with righthanded batters when there's a lefty on the mound for the other team.
  • chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
    edited May 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Answer mike047's questions and we'll get you going. :)

It's a bit of an oversimplification, but the main reason that deadlineless WU's (all Tinkers) perform better on AMD rigs is that the core program used to crunch the Gromacs (and other non-Tinker WU's) has been optimized for Intel-based machines. The licensing agreement for the program precludes modifying it for an AMD-optimized version. If you're a baseball fan, think of it as being roughly analogous to stacking your lineup with righthanded batters when there's a lefty on the mound for the other team.

My operating system is Windows XP and my core....well I see a FAH502 console file in the folder....Is that what you needed to know? If not, point me in the right direction and I'll give you more info.

Thanks!
    Chip
    edited May 2006
    Check out our Reconfiguring The FAH Console article. When you get to the "Change Advanced Options?" section say "Yes". For an AMD rig you want to also answer "yes" to the "Request WU's Without Deadlines" question. :clap::fold: