Half-Life 2: Episode One

2»

Comments

• edited June 2006
    Thanks to the exchange rate I've picked this up through steam for much less than some. Its retailing here for £20...

Not played the game yet, gonna give it a try this afternoon.
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited June 2006
    Further .....

Been playing with the commentary

DO NOT play this way 1st as it would be a major spoiler to the game

This gives an excellent insight into the gamers minds ..
    wish more games had this feature

Parts of the game I was going "no, this is annoying" is echoed by the developers who explain why they did it this way and what the alternative (worse) would have been.

Empty rooms that use to have things in them, that where cut for various reasons - very valid ones.

How certain ideas where rejected by the design team, then in the end accepted and bloomed into highlights of the game. (eg their notes on dog)

Really enjoying this "glimpse" into their world and making me appreciate the game even more - as well as the heart felt/hard decisions the developers make to bring a game to life with the resources they have available.

when you finish the game - I highly recomend going back and doing the commentary version, for the least you appreciate the many hours a developer put into a scene that you happen to be facing the other way when it occured because you where ignoring their queues/hints to view it as you where not "listening" to the game but watching T.V over your right shoulder.

Thumbs up Valve :thumbsup:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2006
    I must be a good way through EP1 now. Lots of fun so far. Really fast paced and has everything I loved about the original. Looking forward to finishing it off.
  • edited June 2006
    Wasnt too impressed with starting the way the original ends. Being forced to use a single weapon is annoying.

Like the way the puzzles are working out though, much more like the original in some respects.
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited June 2006
    I think I beat this game in like 2-1/2 hours. It kinda upset me :-\
  • edited June 2006
    It took me 5 or 6 hours the first time through (on hard) and about 3.5 hours the second time.
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited June 2006
    Squill wrote:
    I think I beat this game in like 2-1/2 hours. It kinda upset me :-\

a friend of mine was screaming through this until I asked him what difficulty he had it on and he did not know - the default is easy whch you can scream through on - Hard is noticably different experience

It slowed him down once he switched.

I personally went through the commentary afterwards MUCH faster than my original run, the game is "short" once you've done it at least once
  • edited June 2006
    Just looked at my credit card statement and I got Sin and Episode One for £12 each. Bargain :)
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited June 2006
    Cyclonite wrote:
    And, I freakin' love D0g! I wish they would make a D0g plush or robot toy or something. I bought the poster. Haha. He's so cool.

LMAO.. I agree 100% Dog has got some moves and just annihilates anything in his way :)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Just finished the Episode. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd say well worth my money. I'll probably play through with the commentary shortly. Now I can't wait for Episode 2! Hehe. :)
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    CB, You can pick this game up now. It is on sale at Circuit City for $8. (In Store Only)
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=14621&d=1150021788
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Neat!
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Yeah. I saw it for $15 at Target the other day.