Options

2800MHz Overclock - Opteron 146, Opteron 148, or Athlon 3700+?

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Im putting together a system and I need a inexpensive CPU that will last at 2800.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    EDIT: NM, just noticed your poll :)

I vote Opteron 146 if you can find it for cheap, although the 3700+ models are doing very well lately too. Any of those you listed should be able to hit 2.8 without much difficulty. May need an aftermarket HSF though to keep the temps down.
  • edited April 2006
    Thanks Lemonlime, Ive had my 3700+ AT 2910mhz, and I even saw one at 3700mhz before it fried. I was just wondering if the Optys go higher, run cooler. Or could the 3700+ be a Opty in disguise?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    Theres a p4 that runs in the 5ghz+ range. Its vapochilled and fast as hellllllll
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I voted for the 148 due to its multiplier.
  • edited April 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    Theres a p4 that runs in the 5ghz+ range. Its vapochilled and fast as hellllllll
    I bet its aLOT more than $200
    edited April 2006
    i0esign wrote:
    Thanks Lemonlime, Ive had my 3700+ AT 2910mhz, and I even saw one at 3700mhz before it fried. I was just wondering if the Optys go higher, run cooler. Or could the 3700+ be a Opty in disguise?

Yep, they are essentially the same chip. Opties seem to receive a little more love from AMD, so they generally OC a little better than A64s. Don't rule the 3700+ out though. It usually costs a little less than a 148.
  • edited May 2006
    I was gonna wait till AM2 but I read the reviews and they said it was similar to what we have now (except for the DDR2)
    edited May 2006
    i0esign wrote:
    I was gonna wait till AM2 but I read the reviews and they said it was similar to what we have now (except for the DDR2)

I'd still recommend waiting though. Although the AM2 may not provide a very large boost over 939, there are some exciting Intel chips just around the corner.
  • edited May 2006
    The Conroe? Blablabla, "crazy fast" lol
    Im a "underdog kind of guy" thats why I went with AMD a few years ago and will probably stay with them. Also I have some "insane fast memory 2.5-4-4-7 @612mhz 1t" thats not DDR2 and it will have been a waste not to use it.

I havent even gotten around to dual core yet.
  • edited May 2006
    Don't be a fanboy lol. It's not nice.