7900GT Voltmodded

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Well just voltmodded my BFG 7900GT OC to 1.5V and did the pencil mod on the memory and the results are great. Before the VMod I was getting 530/1600 stable (default is 475/1320) now I'm getting 670/1850 which gives me a nice boost in FPS in Oblivion and has increased my 3DMark05 score to 11025 from 9797. Anyone else got a voltmodded 7900GT? If you have what were the results?

Comments

• jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited May 2006
    You need to be extremely careful with that pencil mod.

I suggest that you hold your finger over the small IC's on the back right corner of the card so that you can test the temp. These chips can get boiling hot after you do the pencil mod.

You may need to buy a small heatsink to help with cooling.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    Very nice result Kinetix!

What method did you use for the 1.5 VGPU?
  • edited May 2006
    jradmin, I'll ty that later 'cos I'm not at that PC atm, I've got ramsinks on the ram itself so they should be okay and I made sure that the voltage didn't increase in excess of 2.25v.

lemonlime, I used the conductive pen method, took no more than 3 minutes and would reccomend it to anyone. I got the card running artifact free at 690/2000 in atitool for over 5 minutes, but I could see artifacts in windows, so I could probably achieve 700/2000 with 1.55v and possible some more voltage to the RAM, but I don't really want to try that without watercooling since I'm hitting 68-70*C already and I don't really want to get much hotter than that.

Edit: Just checked the IC's at the back and they are pretty hot some I thinking I might stick on Ramsink over em and put an intake fan in front of the card to keep it a bit cooler.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    lemonlime, I used the conductive pen method, took no more than 3 minutes and would reccomend it to anyone. I got the card running artifact free at 690/2000 in atitool for over 5 minutes, but I could see artifacts in windows, so I could probably achieve 700/2000 with 1.55v and possible some more voltage to the RAM, but I don't really want to try that without watercooling since I'm hitting 68-70*C already and I don't really want to get much hotter than that.

Very cool.. are you using the stock cooler on the card right now?
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited May 2006
    jradmin, I'll ty that later 'cos I'm not at that PC atm, I've got ramsinks on the ram itself so they should be okay and I made sure that the voltage didn't increase in excess of 2.25v.

Edit: Just checked the IC's at the back and they are pretty hot some I thinking I might stick on Ramsink over em and put an intake fan in front of the card to keep it a bit cooler.

Those are the over current IC's that are getting hot. I wouldn't push that any harder then you have to...or your gonna get a burned up card. My advice is to lower your RAM down to 1800 then push your core up to around 720. That 200mhz isn't worth the time of an RMA to be honest, and your not going to see much if any of a noticable difference ingame as your core being bumped up is working harder.

For a quick benchmark, I'd say 700/2000 is ok. For 24/7 use I'd say pull back on the RAM a bit or your gonna run into trouble.
  • edited May 2006
    Ok, ill give it that a try jradmin, nah I'm using a vf700-cu lemonlime
  • edited May 2006
    Be very careful... I done this mod and the 603 ohms resister (reduced down to 523 ish) got very very hot and my card blew up. The end result was the resistor overheated to give a resistance of 1.5k thats double and 1/2 of its original value.

The card was running for about one hour before it blew up so... be careful :) and have fun!