please need help for Raid 5

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Dear Spinner

I saw many of your posts and I find your posts very useful to me but actually what I need I haven't found yet.

I need some help for Raid5: When I had the motherboard Asus P5GD2 I configured 4 Maxtor drives 160GB in raid 5 and after 3 month I changed the motherboard and bought Asus P5LD2 so what I did was that I dettached the drives from previous mainbord and attached to a new one but the new sistem is not recognizing my drives anymore, the drives is being unllocated it says to me do you want to fomat the drives and than proced. The problem is that I cannot format the drives because they are full of my important datas.

Please help me.

Comments

• MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Your best bet and only real choice is to connect your drives back up to your old board. They must also be in the same channel/ID number. RAIDS are built by the controller. The parity calculations are done by the controller. This makes them so they are not interchangeable except to an identical controller. Sometimes it even requires the same bios/driver version to work. Higher end companies (Adaptec for one) you can switch between any Adaptec RAID controller and it will be recognized. On-board controllers do not fall into this class. They are not true hardware based RAID and are software driven.

You will need to find a way to transfer your data from the old to the new.
  • edited May 2006
    I can get back my previous main-board but I have another problem popped up now I mistakenly formatted one of my hard drives, so, I wonder if I would be able to extract the data’s form the remaining drives (three of them)?

And the controller is integrated (on-board silicon raid)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited May 2006
    if its still in Raid 5 i should be able to fix itself, as well as run with 1 drive down.
  • edited May 2006
    please tell me how would you do it
    edited May 2006
    if the hard drive that was formatted while it was still connected to the array ( in the bios ) then you should just have to rebuild the array, as in make it put all the data back onto the drives based on the parity information on the other 3 drives.

is the array still seen in the bios on the motherboard it was originally built on the Asus P5GD2?

one thing to note is that the channles on the array in question the SI3114, are NOT interchangeable. as in you cange change the drive in chan 1 to chan 3 and have it still work properly. once its buildt in the array thats whe way it is. also arrays are NOT interchangeable in mobo's unless they use the same SI3114 chipset, and even then your pusing your luck

Step 1 is to hook up the drives in the original order and see if the bios still sees the array.

If all of this seems too daunting a task, which i can very well see having the drives in the right order as it was created. i know of some software that might be able to help you. its not free, but it can somewhare "software raid" them together so you can pull data off of them
  • edited May 2006
    can you tell me please these sofwares?

btw thanks for your help
    edited May 2006
    the software that you can use to try to raid them back together is called: Activa@ file recovery. ive never used it to pull data from a broken array though.

http://www.file-recovery.net/features.htm
    FatR.JPG 208.5K