Anyone here used MAMBO?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Internet & Media
Been trying to ask questions on the official forums, but no one answers. Mambo seems pretty awsome, but I have no idea how to utilize it for my needs. Here is what I posted over at http://forum.mamboserver.com
Mambo so far seems like something I'll probably be using for my portfolio once I get the hang of it, only been trying it out for a day it seemed easy at first, but I just don't know how to get what I want from it.

So my question is if I should continue with it?

What I need from it is nothing special IMHO, just a front end for a basic database. I do technical support for some properties and I would like to have our company be able to use this site internally and possibly externally for reference for a specific property. This information would not be something I'd worry about getting hacked over, just basic info on the servers being run at the location, pictures of the servers and the server rooms, floor layouts of the properties for where wireless access points are located and a bulletin board so that if something occurs everyone will know when they access that locations information page.

This would be something all employees would use, sales even... to keep everyone updated instead of having to look through email, site config papers, and several sources. Tech support calls could be cut in half, and alot of stress as well.

Originally I was building my own CMS specifically tailored for this until I ran into Mambo. Seemed like it could do the job, but I am not sure. Maybe it's becuase I can't figure out how to work it :P

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    SM used to use Mambo. It was our first CMS before we changed to E107 and then finally on the custom code we use today :)

What specific issue are you having with mambo..? :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Building my own template, the default just doesn't cut it and I have tried adding in articles and such in my own sections/categories, but they don't go and it is published material...

I need a page which I can select a hotel/property, when I do it just brings me to a single page with several sections on it which displays server info, room info, etc... each section updatable and dynamic. I know this software can do it, it's got those feature built in, I just need to re-order it to the specifics I need.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Also do you know if I can install this on a server with MS SQL instead of MySQL?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Well I am learning it now, getting used to it... still having trouble with certain content items. I like the individual pages for the properties to be like the front page which has several items put together. But Mambo is beginning to look much friendlier :)
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2006