Trouble stabilizing 2.5ghz: A8R32-MVP & Opteron 170

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I am up to 2.5ghz right now, but Prime95 fails on core 0 after 20 minutes due to a rounding error.

I lowered my HT link speed to 800mhz. This helped, but only a bit. Prime95 will now run for 20 minutes, and then halts on core 0 with a rounding error. Besides raising the voltage (1.4 currently in the BIOS, although ASUS probe reads 1.44-1.46) since I am already at the safe voltage for the opteron chips, what else can I do? memtest ran 4 passes on the memory and passed every time, so I don't think that is it.

Should I lower my Vcore and then overvolt it +200mV? Should I overvolt my north/south bridge a bit?

I also installed the SI-120 & Delta fan. Since doing so, IDLE is ~32C (asus probe) and load during the prime 95 testing before it failed was 47C. Motherboard idle is 38C and load during prime 95 was 39C. I figured the SI-120 would have helped the MB temps more, but it seems to have had an adverse effect and actually raised them a bit. Is it normal for this board to idle so high? It definitely wasn't this high at stock speeds, but I didn't expect the OC to raise the MB temps that much. This is why I am hesitant to overvolt the north and/or southbridge.

The Delta fan is only running at ~2000RPM. I know that is normal, but is there anyway to get it to go faster?

Ram timings are 3-4-4-8.