Can't boot xp

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I just bought a processor, motherboard, ram and gfx card off a friend. It all works perfectly fine with the original HD in. However I wanted to put my HD in the computer. I reinstalled XP pro onto the HD with my old system then put it in the new pc. I've made sure it all works fine with the HD on the old system. Now when I try to load the HD in the new system it gets stuck at Verifying DMI pool data. I've tried allowing the system to use the xp disc to reinstall again on the new system but it won't allow me to boot the cd from startup either. Any suggestions on what could be causing it and what I should do?

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Um, probably because that installation has all the drivers and everything for the old PC and you're putting it in a new machine. That's not really a good idea. If you put a drive with XP on it and try and boot it on any machine other than the one it was installed on (unless it has lots of the same series components, i.e. both nForce4 motherboards, etc) then it tends to go a bit awry.
  • edited May 2006
    so what do i need to do to the HD to fix that?
    edited May 2006
    Install XP on that machine rather than the other one.
  • edited May 2006
    Yeah sorry thats my problem I can't reinstall xp on the new system it won't allow it, it wouldn't allow it before or after I tried on the old system. It just won't allow it on the new system. It should work though as I know all the components are working properly on the new system
    edited May 2006
    Can you be a little more verbose, "it won't allow it" isn't particually descriptive.
  • edited May 2006
    It wouldn't load from boot sorry
    edited May 2006
    Still need to be more specific. You mean the XP CD wouldn't load? Or the drive wouldn't load after installing XP or XP setup would start but it wouldn't detect the drive?
  • edited May 2006
    right ok sorry its both, The pc won't load past the verifying DMI pool and when I try to boot with the XP cd it wont load past booting from cd: just stays there, ive tried changing parts I knew they worked anyway as they were working with a different HD. also the HD im trying works as I've tested it on my old system.
    edited May 2006
    I assume you set the machine to boot from CD when you were trying to boot from the XP install CD?

Anyway, what are your system specs? Processor, Motherboard, HD, etc. Be specific!
  • edited May 2006
    Yup I tried wouldn't load but would on my other pc. I'm runnin on a AMD 3400+ processor with a Abit MB on 1gig ram, not sure on the HD its 110gig and Radeon 9200. I'm at work thats all i can tell you from memory dunno if it'll help
    edited May 2006
    Ok, do you know if the machine will load the XP setup CD if the hard-drive ISN'T connected? Also, is the drive SATA or just the old bigass cable normal one? (P/ATA).
  • edited May 2006
    No it didn work with HD disconnected. Its the old cable normal one
    edited May 2006
    Has the CD-Rom drive ever worked properly in this machine? Also does that drive that you've put XP on boot if you disconnect (take the IDE cable out) of the CD-Rom drive?
  • edited May 2006
    I don't know if its ever worked I will try a different cd drive to see if it makes a difference. No it did'nt make a difference with the cable out. Do you have any other suggestions while i try the cd drive?
    edited May 2006
    If disconnecting the CD-Drive didn't fix being able to get past then trying a different one isn't likely to have any effect, but it's worth a try anyway. Here's a thought. On your motherboard there will be a little battery (flat, round, silver). Turn your machine off at the mains, take out this battery, wait a few seconds then put it back in.
  • edited May 2006
    ok done didn't do anything. Its strange when I put in the disc it says its booting from cd, and I can hear the rom trying to read the disc but nothing happens
  • edited May 2006
    anyone else got any ideas? :confused2
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    How old are the cdrom drives you've tried? What condition is your WinXP CD in?
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    I take it that you have configured the CD as master on IDE channel 0, and the HDD as master on channel 1.
    (Just to make sure we are having the right setup)

In the bios setup you should be able to see both your CD and HDD drive.
    If you don't see the CD drive, then swapp the whole CD unit with cable from the system that is working.

If you still do not see the CD drive in the bios menu, then I suspect the motherboard channel to be bad.

It would be nice if you could give us your complete computer data.
    • Motherboard and bios version.
    • CPU.
    • CD drive.
    • Hard disk drive.
    • On what IDE channel you have connected the CD and HDD.
    • Graphic card.
    • Information if the system detects the CD drive in bios.

Also you can test your system using the Ultimate boot cd,
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/