sound card installation?

mskatmskat Ontario, Canada
edited May 2006 in Hardware
Hi, I'm new here, hope I have the right forum. I've lost sound on my pc, so I'm thinking of installing a sound card. I've setlled on the Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live 24-Bit PCI Sound Card. I've installed several sound cards in the past, but this is the first time that I've installed a card where there is sound onboard. I've been told that this card is fairly easy to install. But, I've heard conflicting advice on the how to when it comes to the issue of sound onboard.

My mobo is an Elite K7S5APro. Before installing the card, is it necessary to disable the sound onboard in the bios? Confused here, because I was told by a guy in a computer repair store that there was no need because Windows XP (my OS) would detect the card and everything would run as it should. As far as an analog data cable to the cd, will this be something that I have to concern myself with? Is it difficult to find my way around in the bios to disable the sound--is it in a language that I can easily decipher? ;-) If someone could offer a step by step instruction for disabling the sound in the bios I'd be really grateful.
with thanks,

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Yes, always disable onboard sound if you're using an add-in sound-card else it just complicates matters. Turning it off in the BIOS should be a simple "Onboard Sound > Off" so no need for a walkthrough. Windows probably wont install its own drivers for your soundcard and if it did it's not a good idea to use them anyway. Go to Creative's website and download the drivers for your Live! from there.
  • edited May 2006
    In the bios of some of the newer mobos it has auto and disable for the settings.
    In older mobos onboard ac97 or disabled.

I think either way its better to disable it(onboard audio)

First start your comp and REMOVE any drivers for the sound that you had.

Than turn off the comp. Install the new sound card(as low on the mobo as you can) Connect the thin cable from the CD to the sound card.

When you start up the comp hit DEL to go into bios.

Skip down to INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS and look for ac97 audio and hit enter.

Disable it than hit ESC than F10 and save your settings.

When it restarts and asks for the drivers click cancel.

Than install the creative drivers.

The NEWER drivers on the Creative website are usually better than the WINDOWS version or the version on the setup disk.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It may not be called integrated periferals as every BIOS is different in one way or another, technically it could be anywhere in there, named anything, so it's a matter of just looking around. I'd also go to the save and exit page rather than Esc F10 as that would also be different for different BIOS manufacturers and models.
  • mskatmskat Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2006
    Thanks for the info. I guess I'll give it a shot, what's the worse that could happen? If I don't see smoke, I'll clap. ;-)
  • edited May 2006
    I read the manuel and Enverex is right.

When you go into the bios scroll down to FEATURES SETUP PAGE

than scroll down to ONBOARD AC97 SOUND

and disable it. F10, lol:Rocker:
  • mskatmskat Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2006
    Thanks, Mark. I'll take all of your advice and hopefully get through this.
  • edited May 2006
    mskat wrote:
    Thanks, Mark. I'll take all of your advice and hopefully get through this.
    Anytime...
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Glad that the community could be a help,

just would like to extend a welcome on behalf of all of us, hope that you stick around and become on of the family.:cheers: