AMD X2 Install Question.

JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
edited May 2006 in Hardware
I've just installed an AMD X2 3800 in my system. The question is should I do a repair install of XP and do the "tap F5" thing during the install to change the PC type to a multiprocessor one. Or do I not reinstall the OS & just install the AMD driver and carry on as normal.

Cheers

J

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Personally... I never do repair installs on my home systems. If the system will not boot or has tons of errors, its hosed and I just re-install. But I have server with all my data so I have the ability to save all my data and not worry about the individual systems...
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    With AMD I just get the new forceware drivers, and plop the new CPU in. I have never done a re-install or repair. Just update drivers and you should be good to go.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited May 2006
    Thanks for the replys guys, the system boots fine, I was just thinking from a performance point of view thats all.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I'd do a clean install just for the hell of it.

Which I do a clean install once a year anyway, nothing like a nice clean install, whether it is any faster or if its just in my head i dont know, but im pretty sure the performance is better.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited May 2006
    Turns out there was something else that I needed to do.

Started benching it over the weekend & my 3dmark 05 scores were lower than my previous system. I was scoring around 9000 whereas before I was getting around 12000, something wasn't right. Then I read over on Xtremesystems about an MS Hotfix for the X2 cpu, tried it out & suddenly I'm now scoring over 13000 on '05.

So if you've got a dual core cpu & things aren't running as fast as you thought they would, maybe you could benefit too.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429&highlight=hotfix
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    Please try this application. It's a must for FH experts ( I'm using it ;) )
    WinLauncherXP 2.0.5 Beta
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Jim
    You seem to have a handle on it. Basicly as long as it shows up in the device manager as "ACPI Multiprocrssor PC" and you run the MS Hotfix you listed you are good to go. ;)