Tried to install Linux, now stuffed

CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
edited May 2006 in Hardware
OK, tried to install Ubuntu, had all sorts of problems and I am now unable to boot in to windows, or anything else it seems.

On boot up I get to
"Verify DMI Pool Data"
Boot from CD:
NVidea Boot Agent 211.....
Copyright.....
Client MAC Addr xxxxxx.......
DHCP......

and then it hangs for ages and eventually comes up with

PXE-E%3: No boot filename received
PXE-MOF: Exiting NVidea Boot Agent
DISC BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK & PRESS ENTER>

I've tried resetting the BIOS by clearing the CMOS in the usual way ie remove power lead, move jumper , remove battery etc. Still boots up looking for this device in the CD ROM.

Been in to BIOS to change boot order. Floopy first , IDE second, CD ROM third, still no luck.

I'm P****** with Linux and can't even get back to MS windows.

Posting this on good old Icrontic7, thank goodness for Folding!

Thanks

Crypto

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    The fact that it's looking for a Network Boot at all means that it can't find any local disk with an operating system. The failed Linux install probably messed up the Master Boot Record on your primary HD.

Try booting from your WinXP CD and going into the Recovery Console, then follow these instructions.
    Crypto wrote:
    ...Posting this on good old Icrontic7, thank goodness for Folding!...
    We've always known that FAH would pay off someday. Looks like in your case that day has arrived. :cheers:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2006
    Did you forget to install grub ?.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited May 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    Did you forget to install grub ?.
    No I didn't get that far. The installer was trying to sort out a partition to load the base programme on when it stuffed up somehow and took my Windows MBR with it.

Prof, thanks for the tip on fixmbr but it didn't work. Neither did fix boot.:sad2:

However, thanks to a recommendation from Shorty a lorive back to where it was back in January.
    The Acronis CD is now covered in lip marks from kisses. :D

I had taken the precaution of backing up my C Drive to an external drive before trying to install the Linux OS, and having reloaded the software, I was able to get bang up to date.

Phew!!!!!

Cheers :cheers:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    There's a reason why primesuspect keeps chirping "Memtest" and Shorty pops up calling out "Acronis" on a regular basis.

Another desperate situation remedied by one of the Top Two. :respect:

I'm glad you've got it fixed, Crypto. :cheers: