HDD Power Connection Question

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited May 2006 in Hardware
I know this is going to sound really basic and stupid to all & sundry but here goes anyway:

I need to power a second hard drive. All the power cables from the actual power supply box are being used, however the mobo has a bunch of cables coming out of it, all neatly bundled up with a cable tie. At least one of these cables has the appropriate black, red and yellow wires required for powering a hard drive, but I just wanted to check if it is OK to use these cables (not the sort of thing I wanted to "trial and error" if you know what I mean).

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited May 2006
    are they comming out of the power supply or the motherboard? ive never heard of them comming from the mobo, but yea, if they have that little plastic "molex" connector it should work just fine.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited May 2006
    Yep they have the molex connector and yeah, funnily enough they come from the mobo itself. They are attached to a "chocolate bar" style connector which slots straight onto the mobo!! There's about five or six molex connectors with differing configurations of coloured wires, if this sheds anymore light.....
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    You can get splitters from most PC shops. They basically turn 1 molex into 2.
    edited May 2006
    Yeah I know, but I figured if I can use these connectors I might as well. Also it saves me from leaving the house....:zombie: lol
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    This sounds interesting - can you post a pic? I'd like to learn something new about this setup.

Chances are you should be able to use it just fine to power the HDD, unless your power supply is at its absolute limit. It should be no problem, though.
    edited May 2006
    Yep I'll get onto it soon.......
    edited May 2006
    How do I insert the pics when asked for URL?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Click "Manage Attachments' then add it that way.
    edited May 2006
    Sorry guys, I am now officially the stoopidest person on the face of the earth. I decided to cut the cable tie and hook up the HDD and once I had separated everything it turns out that the red/black/yellow cables are coming from the supply, it's just that I couldn't tell until I had freed the bunch. The rest of the bunch is just the mobo power supply...........sorry for being such a nob...........:crazy:
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    You know the drill... "The only stupid question..." On the other hand... yes, you're a dill! :aol: :ausflag:

Had a heapa ppl going with the problem tho! :Pwned:
    edited May 2006
    Yeah, I've gotta stop drinkin' and tinkerin'......:beer:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    i've done worse...this one time i thought the PSU's were tangeled, so i started to trim away at them...but it just turned out to be a girl's hair
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    i've done worse...this one time i thought the PSU's were tangeled, so i started to trim away at them...but it just turned out to be a girl's hair

:scratch: ??????????
    This wasn't at band camp was it???