new user and stupid question / please help~!

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Hi~!
Wondering if anyone could help.
For some reason we are experiencing problems with our computer/keyboard.
When certain keys are hit funny things happen.
For example if the n button is hit then: mn67 appears
If the b button is hit then vb54 appears.
Is there a simple explanation to this?
Thanks
Kerrianne

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Do you have a spare keyboard you could try? (If it's a PS/2 type with a round connector, make sure you shut the computer down before any plugging/unplugging).

Go to Control Panel>>Regional & Language Options>>Languages>>Details and make sure you have the correct keyboard layout and language selected.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited May 2006
    Is it a wireless keyboard?

My TV remote does this when the batteries are running low.
  • edited May 2006
    hi,
    I tried the control panel suggestion - no good.
    and, no its not a wireess keyboard.
    As an update, the keyboard is now just putting a 6 after the letter 5 and the letter n?_?_?_?_?_?_?_?_
  • edited May 2006
    Sounds like it's dirty. Either open it up and clean it out or buy a new one.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Fist thing I would check is if a pin has been bent over in your keyboard plug. Shut down, unplug it and check. If this is the case, a pair of needle-nose pliers and a careful hand not to bend other pins is required.
    As suggested by Smj it could be dirty, like maybe something had been spilled in it, although the distance between the offending keys (vb & 54) makes me suspicious. Also a possibility is a broken or shorted wire in the cable. A check with a borrowed keyboard is the cheapest test option.

Good Luck! :ausflag:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited May 2006
    Can you try and borrow one of somebody? That way you will know if it is the K/B.

edit.....Ahhhhrrggg, got beaten to it by a <s>Mexican</S> Victorian. Must have posted at the same time. :D
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Usually when Our keyboard/keyboards get sticky or don't type properly.
    I do a thorough cleaning.
    Here's a site that gives you instruction on general cleaning & thorough cleaning.
    http://www.helpwithpcs.com/maintenance/cleaning-keyboard.htm
    Just be sure before you remove any keys you make note of where they go. so you can put them back in order.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited May 2006
    Just be sure before you remove any keys you make note of where they go. so you can put them back in order.

Oh my, good advice, I nearly fell off my chair!

Keyboards are pretty cheap these days, I'd go for new one and not faff about. Perhaps I'm too rich though :buck: