CPU - NB/SB Link Speed the same thing as HTT multiplier on my motherboard?

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I have an ASRock 939 Dual Sata2. It doesn't seem to have any settings for LDT or HTT multiplier but it does have a CPU-NB setting and a CPU-SB setting with options for 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and Auto. Are these basically my 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 settings for my HTT multiplier? If so, are there any losses in performance for not having the the HTT maxed for example if i went with a 220 reference clock and the 4x multiplier for the HTT? What about the auto setting, would that automatically put me where i need to be based on my other settings or do you think it would automatically put it at 5x? Thanks.

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    those look like ht settings and you're sort of on the right track but the performance difference won't make a whole lot of difference if you're close to where you should be.

I think the way it works is this ...

1000=5 - 5x220x2=2200ht ...may be too high but might work
    800=4 - 4x220x2=1760ht ...may be a better choice if the above is unstable
    600=3 - 3x220x2=1320ht ...and so on

I've run 2400ht stable so you can try starting at the top (1000).
  • edited May 2006
    Can i damage anything by having the HTT too high or is it completely a stability thing?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Caxus wrote:
    Can i damage anything by having the HTT too high or is it completely a stability thing?
    Well ...don't know for sure but I'd say you're ok. I've been running mine at 2400+ for 6 months now and it runs as good as ever.
  • edited May 2006
    Actually csimon, you're wrong. :p

Your NB and SB speed is the HTT multiplier times the HTT speed ONLY. The CPU multiplier has nothing to do with it. The stock speed for HTT is 1000hz, or the stock HTT (200) times 5.

Just try to keep your HTT as close to 1000hz without going over. Also remember that having your HTT as low as 600hz won't make a lick of difference for performance, so opt for 900hz over 1200hz.

1000Hz = 5X
    800Hz = 4X
    600Hz = 3X
    400Hz = 2X
    200Hz = 1X

ASR just decided to label the multipliers to be as confusing as possible.

ALSO remember that you need to use BIOS version 1.1, 1.2, OR 1.8 in order to POST higher than HTT 274 without bad coldboot issues. You're much better off using 1.8.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    Caxus wrote:

Don't worry about damaging anything. Worst case, you'll have some system instability. You'll usually see bluescreens, freezeups and no-posts as a result of an out of spec HTT bus. My personal recommendation for 939 is 1700MHz-2200MHz. Different mainboards do behave differently though. Sometimes a slightly higher HTT bus will be more stable, and sometimes a lower speed bus will be more stable. Trial and error sometimes :)