EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GT CO - possible problems ???

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited May 2006 in Hardware
I've build a rig for one of my friends and while doing some search and with your help guys i've build a very nice rig for him. (bang for the buck)

But now i've come across a little post on a forum that makes me wonder if the video card is a good choice. I've chose a EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GT CO 500MHZ PCI-E 256MB 256BIT 1.5GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out Video Card

Here is a quote of one of the guys on the ncix forum
Trust me mikey, you'll know if you see it. You'll get one of several issues, all related to the same cause - the voltage regulators. You'll either get a full black screen, a blinking screen, or a terribly corrupt desktop. I can "fix" it by heavily underclocking the card. This got me through a 12-hour LAN party yesterday, without a single issue. But clock it back up to stock, and I'm lucky to get an hour before the issues raise their ugly little heads.

Here is another one
I bought 22 of these cards for a gaming centre, not realizing the problems people were having. Well, now I know. After putting them in systems and testing them out, 4 are going back to be replaced. Thats almost 20% bad cards, very poor QC from EVGA here...I'm very disappointed in them.

Should i be scared about it ? I mean... wow it seems like there's a LOT of RMA on those cards... I know RMA is part of the game with new rigs but 20% is a little high... Someone even said that it took him 3 RMA to get a card that works without too many problems, but after 3 hours of use he still got glitch and so on.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    You should be able to draw a conclusion from that yourself. If you want a ~20% chance of the card not working then sure, order one. If not, buy something else.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited May 2006
    Yeah i know that's what i'll probably do as i've not bought the video card already.

I really think i'll stick with ATI, never had problems with them... Nvidia will lost a lot of customer if they continue to throw this kind of ****ty hardware pieces that can't run well out of the box.

The problems people are experiencing doesnt seem to be caused by evga, but by the nvidia 7900 chip itself from what i read. Well the stock overlock of this EVGA card surely doesnt help tho.

I'll probably go with a ATI card, less performant for the price / more stable, i've never heard about an ATI card getting RMA lol
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I have had many EVGA cards, and have had no issues with them at all. I just built a guyy a system with that 7900GT with no issues. The only compnay I have ran into with huge issues is BFG Tech...
    i've never heard about an ATI card getting RMA lol

I have sent more ATI cards back than Nvidia... But that is just me...
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited May 2006
    There's a lot of good review about this 7900GT and a lot of people have no problems with it... I guess you must hope to be very lucky cuz this card seems to have a higher % of failure heh, still with 80% of good working cards will make 8 gamers / 10 happy and write good things about it, while 2 / 10 will start crying about nvidia and so on... :p

As for ATI, Sledge you seem to have build a lot of systems and i only builded like 5 in my entire life but in the end i guess its all about being lucky and got a good card with a good chip :p I said that i never heard of ATI RMA but that's only from what i've see and read ;) Maybe your own experience with ATI was not as good as mine and that's why you are now an nvidia fan :buck:

For me the only video card i got problems with was from nvidia , but thats just me hehe :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I can't lie and not say I haven't seen my share of issues. And yes I have built more computers than I can count. ATI doesn't have an RMA from what I have seen either, but my wholesaler offers a 1 year warranty on anything he sales. So when I say "I RMA’ed" it means I send it back to him and get a new card usually same day if not the next day.

I guess I have really only RMA'ed 1 card and that was a 6600GT "the ram fried" but as to issues, oh man I can't even post them all from both companies. I run my fair share of Graphics cards, and have just always sided with Nvidia. Maybe it is the green or something...
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited May 2006
    Been building comps for almost 5 years and I can tell you that both cards have an equal amount of problems.