Memtest86+ test #8 reporting errors only in Dual Channel mode?

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I've got a matched pair of 512 Corsair pc3200. I just ran memtest at default memory speeds and timings and everything was fine until test 8 when all sorts of errors popped up. To see which stick was bad i tested them each alone in each dimm slot and no errors occured. It only seems to happen when i test both of then running in dual channel mode. When i set the memory divider to 333 in the bios, no errors occur. Is this normal or does it mean the memory or the board are bad?

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    do you have vdimm options on that motherboard?
    have you tried increasing it?
  • edited May 2006
    Is DRAM voltage the same thing? If so it only has AUTO, NORMAL, and HIGH.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    put it on high, and test again please
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Or relax the timings a bit.
  • edited May 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    Or relax the timings a bit.
    Tried the timings. It didn't help. I'm going to switch the DRAM voltage to high when i get home. I'm at work right now.
  • edited May 2006
    Well raising the DRAM voltage seems to have reduced the number of errors but there are still some there. I did some tweaking however and discovered that the culprit was the MA timing. At some point i had switched it to 1T because i'd always heard that 1T was the fastest but when i switched it back to auto, which is the default, all the errors went away.

I'm a bit concerned though because the only options are AUTO, 1T, and 2T. If 1T gives me errors does that mean the it's setting itself to 2T when it's on auto? Isn't 2T a lot slower?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    In real life you will not see any difference with 2T. :D

But on another note, you should not need to go to 2T @ PC3200 speeds on that memory. Something else may possibly be up.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    Mtgoat is correct, you shouldn't *need* to go to 2T for a pair of dimms. It is normal to require 2T timings and 333MHz for 4x512MB dimms on older A64 processors, but not for 2x512MB. It could be one of several things: a weak integrated memory controller on the CPU, a flaky mainboard or an insufficient/problematic power supply.

What core type 3200+ is that? If you are unsure, you can download and launch CPU-Z from www.cpuid.com. If it is a venice based chip, I think that would eliminate the CPU as the problem. Also, what type of power supply are you using currently?
  • edited May 2006
    What core type 3200+ is that?
    Sorry, i forgot to update my signature. It's a 3700 san diego now. In all honesty, i haven't experienced any real world problems at 1T its just that test #8 in memtest. Here's something peculiar. When i switched my ram from dimm slots 1 & 2 and put them in 3 & 4 i still got errors with that test but i got a lot less of them. It's a pretty cheap motherboard. I'm starting to think that's it.