Auto restart while windows xp loads...

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Hi, ever since one night after I shut down my computer I have been having this issue. I turn on my computer and it loads through the bios and then I get a screen asking if I want to run in safe mode or safe mode with networking or my last know good configuration or just boot windows normally...... but I cant move the highlighting and select any of them and "Start windows normally" just stays highlighted until the timer runs out and then it goes to the windows xp loading screen but then all of a sudden restarts its self and continues in an infinite loop doing the same thing over and over. So I am unable to even get to my desktop because of this problem. I tried hooking up my harddrive to my old Hewlett Packard computer as a secondary drive and I am still able to look at and open the files on the drive when Im booting of the HP's harddrive and using mine as a secondary. If anyone knows of anyways to fix this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thx..

Comments

• edited May 2006
    do you have any drive management software you can install on your old hp machine and check out the status of the drive you pulled out of your primary rig? that would be a good place to start....go thru the basics, run checkdisk on it and see if it has encountered any corrupt files. then start running for viruses and spyware and specify the new local disk in your old hp box. best way to start.
  • edited May 2006
    What drive management software to you suggest? I ran chkdsk and it did find a number of errors and it said it autocorrected them but still have the same problem, I guess Ill run spybot and antivirus on it now...
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    Make an cmos reset to start with.
    Can you access the bios ?

Then test your hardware, (one memory might be bad).
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    Ultimate Boot CD (Full) 3.4

(Or you could remove one memory).

Also this might come in handy,
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=384814&postcount=7
  • edited May 2006
    I tried a cmos reset, and I am able to get into bios, i recently switched from my usb keyboard to a ps/2 one and now i can select boot from a cd which i tried with the winxp cd and tried thrax's 6 commands and it still gives me same error.... I guess ill download the hardware test now
  • edited May 2006
    Well i ran the UBCD and one of the HDD test showed my HDD was failing so I guess thats the problem, So i guess i ll have to shell out some dough to get a new harddrive