PHP & Mysql forum creation

iHatePopUpsiHatePopUps Singapore
edited May 2006 in Internet & Media
I was wonder if this forum is made from PHP & Mysql as the database. I'd like to make a forum like this one but I don't really know where to start. Can anyone help me?

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    This forum was VBullitin originally and has been altered quite a bit by Shorty and Co. If I were you then I'd download something like phpBB and look at the source, that would pretty much explain everything you need to know. But unless you have comprehensive PHP skills it's a bad idea and will take a VERY long time to make anything more than a very basic threaded forum.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    But unless you have comprehensive PHP skills it's a bad idea and will take a VERY long time to make anything more than a very basic threaded forum.
    Don't sound so pessimistic. Being that I have no serious php and/or mysql experience, I was able to setup a forum within 3 hours, with tweaking and such. Then customized it with numerous add-ons for the next 2.5 hours (I know what I have liked from other boards and wanted to mimic the feeling). My programming background is severely limited to the requirements of my degree plan from a local community college. The way it sits now, is no where near basic, and it is used for my department where I work for increased communications between the different shifts. I was building an intranet at the same time, and incorporated it into the page. It was built nearly 3 months ago, and has over 121k articles (posts), 32 members, and is running off of a server that is not connected to the net...win2k with IIS. Everything has been updated, and it is locked down as tight as internet write-up suggested. The internet is great...

Point being, my stupid-lazy rump was able to do it, seeing as how my main job is being a network tech/technical support tech, it was way off path as we are primarily windows based shop. YOU CAN DO IT TOO!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I think Enverex was referring to coding your own system like VBulletin on your own vs. aquiring one like the one here.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited May 2006
    RWB wrote:
    I think Enverex was referring to coding your own system like VBulletin on your own vs. aquiring one like the one here.
    The versus argument was a given and is considered understood.

I was counterpointing the use of the word basic, with the adverb very in regards to him stating that unless one has comprehensive php skills, it would take the amount of time he stated...in that degree of course, not specifically speaking. ;)

Scanning source code to figure out how to use phpbb is counterproductive if he just wants to get a forum running with no bells and whistles. Not to study the ins and outs, as some are not so insistent on building expertise as they are for functionality.
  • iHatePopUpsiHatePopUps Singapore
    edited May 2006
    But PhPbb make the creation of the forum it easier? Or does it give you an interface that allows you to just choose options and it'll throw out the codes? I don't think it's that easy, but I happen to know a little of PhP so understanding the codes shouldn't be that difficult. The thing is, I'd like to make a PhP + mysql forum for my own site (which is also in the making) and I'd definately want to do it with minimal fuss and effort (if there are easier ways). Can you guys suggest some applications or sites with templates or whatsoever that can get me started?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Yeah it's a forum pre-built, you can alter it on your own with your own theme's and style sheets.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    id go with phpBB, it'll give you a plane jane forum, and then you can make all the alterations to the code that you want, a la open source!!.
  • iHatePopUpsiHatePopUps Singapore
    edited May 2006
    cool..I'll try that and get back here when I hit problems. Hope you guys will be able to help. :)
  • edited May 2006
    dude you could build a forum in like two seconds with ruby on rails. screw php.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    he has to know the language, and 2 seconds? hmmm. I dont think he is that much of an Ub3r 1337 g33k. :D