Visual basic 2005 question: Using a c++ DLL

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited May 2006 in Internet & Media
Hi all, I've dabbled with progamming before but I've never had to use a DLL until now. The project I'm working on at the moment is to display some data of my choosing on an iMon VFD. The VFD comes with an API written in Visual C++, which has a dll and a demo app. The demo app has source code with it, but my C++ is rubbish and the only compiler I have at the moment is the free visual basic express one. So, I should (theoretically) be able to call public functions of the DLL from a visual basic app shouldn't I? My question is how do I do this? I guess I have to register the dll and add it as a reference in my visual basic project... but then what?

edit: well that didn't work. I don't think the DLL I want to use is an active X dll. If anyone wants a look at what I'm trying to do you can download the visual C++ source and demo file here:

http://www.soundgraph.com/iMON/technote/read.pl?board=e_download&nnew=2&y_number=3

I just want to know how to use the C++ DLL in that zip from a visual basic 2005 application.

Cheers for any help anyone can give.

Comments