mmm that winfixer almost got me

I was browsing the internet looking for a way to log into my SMC/Comcast gateway/router/cable modem as admin instead of customer and a popup box/prompt showed up in firefox and said do you want to download winfixer, etc... then I closed it then it sayed prepairing to install mmm thank god for the all famous ctrl+alt+del--->taskmanagner---->firefox.exe---->end task

I had never heard of the program/virus or whatever it is but if I see something like that pop up I automtically shut it down. turn off the browser everything.

So if I was the average user and went through with whatever process the program goes through what would happen and how bad would the damage really be. I saw bits and peices in the SVT forums but I would like to know how bad it would be.

Comments

• TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited May 2006
    Anyone who has WinFixer on their computer will be pestered with WinFixer popups (especially when opening IE), telling them that their PC is infected. It may slow your PC and internet.

You should run a scan with Spybot and i'm sure it will find some WinFixer entries. If it does, Spybot should remove them without any problems.