Zalman Reserator's Pump Going Bad?

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Hardware
So my Reserator started making vibrating/rattling sounds today. I noticed when I moved it to the new apartment and refilled it last month that the corrosion was getting pretty bad around the pump area (on the screws and the retaining clip, not the anodized surface of the Reserator itself). In fact, I think part of the rattling I'm hearing could be the retaining clip that has disintegrated on one side.

Anyway... it looks like I'm not alone: Silent PC Review Forum Thread

I'm not sure I can get a replacement pump from Zalman like some of their members were able to though, because I didn't buy it retail. The budget is kind of tight right now, so replacing the whole system with a different WC setup isn't an option.

Should I just put on my old SLK-800, or could (should?) I remove the current Zalman pump and hook up an external one? If I get an external one, can someone recommend a really quiet pump? The Zalman one that's in there now doesn't move crazy amounts of water (skinny tubing anyway), but it's kept my OC'd Barton in check for months, and silently up until now. I'm using an Ehiem 1048 in IC_11, and it's not bad, but I wouldn't call it silent. Judging from the reviews I've read though, there aren't many quieter. I was hoping someone had heard otherwise :)

I think for the next couple days, I'll just have to turn my PC off when I'm not using it (alas, my :fold: production will suffer). From what I've read, my pump is in its death throes and could go any time.

Comments

• edited May 2006
    I have been going crazy reading about pumps and watercooling this last 2 weeks. I finally settled on a Hydor seltx L35 for mine.

I like the idea that the pump uses 120V instead of my PS. They are supposed to be very good pumps, they also have a L25 and L30. i found mine for $45 for a 450 gal per min pump. Thats crazy volume for $45.

the L25 is about 265 gal per min. and only $27. The only prob is they are 1/2" but I think you can get smaller fittings.

https://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=HD12202

here is a review of the L30
    http://www.systemcooling.com/hydor_l30ii-01.html
  • edited May 2006
    Sounds like the barings on the impeller are bad, which usually means a new impeller would fix the problem. Email them and ask. I know for aquarium equipment, they usually run from $5-$15.

If Zalman doesn't sell impellers seperatly, I'd go for the L30 like i0 suggested.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Sounds like the barings on the impeller are bad, which usually means a new impeller would fix the problem. Email them and ask. I know for aquarium equipment, they usually run from $5-$15.

If Zalman doesn't sell impellers seperatly, I'd go for the L30 like i0 suggested.
    TheSmJ is right. It usually is only the impeller that go when this happens and they should have a kit to reple it for a very reasonable price.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    This is a really random post, but read on in case you're wondering what happens when you unplug your water pump.

So I'm still using the Reserator and just dealing with the annoying noise the pump's been making. I clocked the Athlon XP down to 1.9Ghz so I could decrease the voltage and heat output, though.

Anyway, I accidentally pulled the plug today, and it's a good thing I have Motherboard Monitor displaying temps in the system tray. I had my music really loud and I didn't hear the rattling of the pump stop, and it wasn't until 15 minutes or so later that I noticed that the temperature had climbed to 56*C! (from 38)

I'm glad these Bartons are stable at high temps. I've had it up this high once before (to 60*C), but one run like this would have killed my old Palomino, I think. It used to lock up at 50*C. :werr:
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited June 2006
    Garg, hold on a while till I get into work. Me & my mate replaced the pump on his reserator so I'll ask him which one it was. I know that it is an Eheim pump just can remember the model but it only cost about £8.

We took lots of pictures cos I was going to write an article on it so I'll see if I can dig them out as well.

Eitherway it's really easy to do. :)
    edited June 2006
    It's an Eheim Compact 300 pump if you want to replace like for like. It's sold in many aquarium shops so you don't have to go to Zalman for it & you'll get it cheaper.

Shot of old pump
    edited June 2006
    Shot of installed new pump. As you may have noticed from the piccies there's alot of corrosion in this Resorator. This was caused by my friend filling it with tap water & adding no corrosion inhibitor so be warned. :)
    edited June 2006
    Thanks for the info, mate! Yeah, mine's pretty corroded too. I used distilled water, but no additives. I hope there's not too much of that gunk inside my water block. :eek:
    edited February 2007
    Thread resurrection time :)

Hey Jimborae, how did you guys get the bottom of the Reserator off to swap the pump? I'm finally getting around to replacing mine, but I can't get the bottom to budge! :(
    edited February 2007
    Nevermind, I got it off. Learned a few new profanities, too.

I got an idea from this site to use the rubberized handles of pliers in the holes in the base. Didn't get anywhere at first. Finally, I wrapped the Reserator in the rubberized base of a throw rug and sat on top of it while I pulled as hard as I could on the pliers stuck into the base.

It budged eventually. The surprising thing was that it fought hard the rest of the way, too. I was kind of hoping it'd be easy after it moved the first time. It actually seemed to seize near the end, too. If this replacement pump fails (and, it probably will, judging from the experiences I've been reading), I think I'll get an external inline pump. This is madness.
    edited February 2007
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Nevermind, I got it off. Learned a few new profanities, too.

I got an idea from this site to use the rubberized handles of pliers in the holes in the base. Didn't get anywhere at first. Finally, I wrapped the Reserator in the rubberized base of a throw rug and sat on top of it while I pulled as hard as I could on the pliers stuck into the base.

It budged eventually. The surprising thing was that it fought hard the rest of the way, too. I was kind of hoping it'd be easy after it moved the first time. It actually seemed to seize near the end, too. If this replacement pump fails (and, it probably will, judging from the experiences I've been reading), I think I'll get an external inline pump. This is madness.

Hello mate, long time no speaky, :)

Thats certainly one way to do it and like you I had trouble with base. I eventually put the base cap in to jaws of a wooden work bench (Black & Decker Workmate). Tightened it up as much as I dare and twisted the cylinder while the base cap was held firm.
  • edited May 2008
    Jimborae wrote:
    Shot of installed new pump. As you may have noticed from the piccies there's alot of corrosion in this Resorator. This was caused by my friend filling it with tap water & adding no corrosion inhibitor so be warned. :)

Hi everyone, i am new. was looking at reserator pump issues and thought this is a nice forum = joined. cheers.!

Thanks for the tip, i just got reserator1 v2. first time i turned it on it just did not do anything, thought it was already broken, but after switching the speed lever back and forth few times it started running like milk. I guess it was just sitting in stock for too long and the contacts went funny. But already got a new pump from an online aquarium store, just in case things get broken :P, it was cheap only 12e.

One thing i was wandering is, does EHEIM Compact 600 can fit in the reserator? its just slightly bigger and a bit more expensive than the EHEIM Compact 300 but will double amount of water. Have anyone tried ?

Also back to the issue of the pump going bad, i have noticed that the coolant that comes with the reserator is a bit soapy, maybe its not just anti corrosion but also a lubricant for the pump ? in that case it will make lots of sense that running a reserator without it will shortens your pumps life span.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Welcome to Icrontic.

I don't think it'll fit, just guessing by looking at the photo of the 300 installed and then the dimensions of the 600. If it does fit, it's hella tight.
  • edited May 2008
    Uhh, ok, here it goes.

EHEIM compact 300 spects

• Max. flow 300 litres per hour
    • Min. flow 150 litres per hour
    • Max. head 0.5 mt
    • 5 watt
    • Length 51.5mm x Width 34.5mm x Height 54.5mm
    • Flow control
    • Fits 12mm hose

EHEIM compact 600 spects
    • Max. flow 600 litres per hour
    • Min. flow 150 litres per hour
    • Max. head 1.3 mt
    • 11 watt
    • Length 65mm x Width 45mm x Height 84mm
    • Flow control
    • Fits 12mm hose

I also measured the inside of the reserator, the diameter is 90mm. I did some drawing in CAD and the pump does fit inside the reserator, possible problem is the position of the outlet and the block of cable seal on the back, that would mean the pump cannot go to the bottom, but have to hang above the cable seal. some extra tubing will have to be added between the pump and the base outlet which is not difficult. The pump water intake will also raise by 15mm but i don't think that would be much of a problem.

But, i was wandering, there is a limit of how much heat water can take in and radiator can cool, so at one point increasing the flow speed wont really improve the cooling anymore. i am i right here ?
    edited May 2008
    I actually have the 600 in my Reserator. I did the swap about a year ago and meant to post a thread about the process here, but I guess I never did. I had to file away part of the bottom plastic on the pump, but it worked. I don't think temperatures decreased any due to the increased flow, though. I'll try to find my pictures and documentation tonight, and I'll post more about the process in this thread.

However, I'm not running my Reserator anymore. After running it for about a year, my pump's problems with air locking (at least, that's what I've assumed was wrong) got so bad I couldn't get it to turn on anymore. I've decided to avoid the Ehiem Compact series pumps from now on. However, the external Eheim 1048 pump I used in Icrontic_11's watercooling has performed great for years. It's much larger and and very audible, though.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Haha! I forgot you put in the big pump. I remember seeing the photos of the install and how cramped things were.