iMon VFD file browser

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited May 2008 in Hardware
v0.91 now released. This release adds save to / load from file functionality for the root folder and playlist, improved playlist handling and lots of bug fixes. if it's seems a bit complicated, don't worry it isn't. Here's some quick instructions:

Install the app using the readme file instructions
Use the imon manager (included with your VFD) to set the VFD to 'plug in'
Run the application.
the application launches in 'browser' mode. So first set your root folder using the '...' button on screen. You should see the VFD update to show you your current folder in the top, and currently selected item in the bottom.
turn off your monitor :)
use the remote to browse to files you want to play. You can either play them one at a time (in browser mode) or add them to the playlist. press the toggle button to switch to playlist mode. Once you have a playlist playing, you can go back into browser mode and carry on adding files to the playlist. They get tagged on the end and play in order.

v0.9b
edit: v0.9b is now ready. This version adds a playlist mode, you can add files to the playlist in the browser mode then switch to playlist mode and set them playing...all using just those 2 display lines and the remote :D

original release

I've just finished writing a little utility that should be a godsend to anyone using an imon VFD / remote solution. It allows you to browse through your media library using only VFD as a display and play MP3s and other media files as you go. Very useful if you're fed up of turning your monitor / projector etc on whenever you want to play some music.

2 pictures attached are the app running on my desktop, and the VFD display while using the app.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Nice piece of work, deicist! :thumbsup:
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited May 2006
    Cheers mate.

v0.9b is now ready. This version adds a playlist mode, you can add files to the playlist in the browser mode then switch to playlist mode and set them playing...all using just those 2 display lines and the remote :D
  • rykoryko new york
    edited May 2006
    wow, i might just have to buy a vfd for my htpc now. seriously...this is very cool.

good job! :thumbsup:

p.s. anybody got any good links for a 3.5" vfd for under $100?
    edited May 2006
    my app only works with the Soundgraph iMon VFD, which costs about £70 over here in the UK. I'm guessing it'll be under $100 on your side of the pond. Try QuietPC.com
    edited May 2006
    okay, the first 0.9b version I released was compiled in test mode, which means it didn't work... heh, sorry about that. The one attached to the first post in this thread has been updated with the new version, I'll continue to update that first post as I release new versions.
  • edited March 2007
    what a nice post
  • edited April 2008
    hey.. im sorry im new at this.. i was trying to get some help regarding water damage ... my cpyu got rained on.. yep the roof was leaking, and my awesome co workers covered everything but the cpu.. i run a restaurant and i need that computer to be fixed reaaly fast.. can anyone please let me know wats the fastest way to fix it..
    it boots to the set up but does not proceed further i am guessing the hard drive or the memory is ruined!!
    thanks in advance
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    This defies all logic.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I really like my iMon, adds a nice little pimp to the front of my case.
  • edited May 2008
    Hi Deicist

I was very glad after I found zour file browser. But somehow I cannot get it to work. I have a Silverstone HTPC case with this VFD and I want to browse my collection without a Monitor.
    Can you explain me it a little bit more?
    Will it work with latest Imon soft?
    Now it only shows the folder . I cannot see individual files and play them.
    Thanking you very much for your help.
    Sharabi