SM28 is slow

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Folding@Home
Q sent me a message telling me to turn off the 'deadline WUs' in the options, so that SM28 could fold faster. Before that, I was honestly not really paying attention to it's generation of points, I was just making sure that it was actually running.

Now, that I'm looking at uit however, it seems remarkably slow. SMx systems that started after 28 are already pwnzing 28's progress. I think it's only finished 2 WUs since I finished getting it hooked up in the new house, and Q's suggestion didn't seem to speed up the next WU it downloaded.

Is there anything else I should do to help SM28 along?

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Are you sure it downloaded a new WU since you switched to deadlineless? It seems like it's crunching on a gromac right now, because it hasn't turned in anything in the last 7 days. I'd think if an AMD as fast as SM28 were working on a Tinker, it would be done quicker than 7 days, most certainly.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology. I thought all the different things it could download were universaly refered to as 'Work Units'...

I know that it is crunching something. I just checked on it this morning on my way out, and it was steadily folding.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    The only thing we can do is ask for the "FAHlog.txt" so we can disect it. If you post that, one of us can get this thing worked out...

Also... check to make sure that "FAH504-Console.exe" is running. What Core is running? I just checked and two of my AMd rigs are not folding due to one of the WU servers being down....
    edited May 2006
    CBDroege wrote:
    Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology. I thought all the different things it could download were universaly refered to as 'Work Units'...

I know that it is crunching something. I just checked on it this morning on my way out, and it was steadily folding.

You're using the correct terminology. What I meant was this: when you changed the setting, the program would have continued to work on the WU it was already crunching, even if it was a deadlined WU. What I meant to ask is, are you sure that one finished and that it has downloaded a new one since you made the change?

Then again, it could be in the same boat as Q's machines, just waiting idle for some work from a downed server.
    edited May 2006
    Oh, I see. I'm pretty sure that it's gone from WU:49 to WU:50 since I got the message from Q, but I could be mistaken.

When I get home tonight, I'll try to remember to post the log.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    The only thing we can do is ask for the "FAHlog.txt" so we can dissect it...
    I've got $50 that says you'll see something similar to this:
    [16:11:09] + Attempting to get work packet
    [16:11:09] - Connecting to assignment server
    [16:11:09] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.112).
    [16:11:09] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [16:11:09] Loaded queue successfully.
    [16:11:11] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
    [16:11:11] + Could not connect to Work Server
    [16:11:11] - Error: Attempt #45 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.

If that's the case, the only solution at the moment is to re-run the -config shortcut and change "Request WU's without deadlines" back to "No".

Look for a new thread on this subject this afternoon. :)
    edited May 2006
    But it is crunching something.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Which protein is it currently working on? An EM Calculator screenie would be nice, if possible. :)

EDIT: The log should tell you, too. Look for a line similar to this:

[15:45:12] Project: 991 (Run 3851, Clone 0, Gen 8)
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited May 2006
    are you runningwith "forceasm" flag set? That makes a lot of difference.
    edited May 2006
    That sounds indecent...
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Crypto wrote:
    are you runningwith "forceasm" flag set? That makes a lot of difference.

u mean, it would crunch faster?
    edited May 2006
    It used to force AMD chips to run SSE, IIRC. In the latest few console versions, though, I thought it was deprecated and the AMDs run SSE by default?
    edited May 2006
    The log will tell you if you are running with SSE enabled, right at the top.

Very much worth checking, folds at twice the speed if enabled.:thumbsup:
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    is it possible that, even if all the proper flags are there, some WU's just wont use or enable the extra SSE?
  • edited May 2006
    how do you enable SSE?

bikerboy
    edited May 2006
    If it's not running by default, the -forceasm flag should do it.
  • edited May 2006
    how do you do the forceasm flag?

bikerboy
    edited May 2006
    Since I run the graphical client, I have a shortcut on the desktop. Right click the shortcut and select properties. In the target box add "-forceasm" at the end of the line like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH.exe" -forceasm

Note the space before the -forceasm.
  • edited May 2006
    thanks and happy birthday to ya man. :birthday:

bikerboy
  • edited May 2006
    WOW!! there is an incredible difference in how fast it folds. since 7easterntime this morning it completed 250 frames. normally my computer only does around 150-200. my ppd went up as well. thanks for the tips guys.

bikerboy
    edited May 2006
    That's great news, bikerboy!
    edited May 2006
    :thumbsup: