Freeze and slow: Sil 3112a (PCI add-in) + ST3300622AS (7200.9 SATA2) on ABIT AI7

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Hello everybody,
I hope someone can help, as I am under the impression that this is quite a common problem with the Sil3112a chip.

Urgency:
My active work and projects are waiting in an uncomfortable archived form for my new PCI add-in controller to please, please stop freezing.

My system:

- Mainboard: ASUS AI7 (features the Intel 865PE chipset with 2-drives Intel ICH5R SATA RAID on-chip controller)
- 2 x 512 RAM (Dual Channel)
- 2 x SEAGATE Barracuda IV 80GB SATA in RAID 0, working just fine, holding the system boot partition also.
- One AGP video card (nVida 6600 GT)
- One IDE DVD-RW (ASUS 1608P reflashed as PIONEER DRV-109)
Everything just fine until now.

Recently, I bought one of those new Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 drives, namely ST3300622AS (SATA2, 16MB buffer) to store the evergrowing bulge of my work & projects.
Since both the onboard SATA channels were full, I also bought one PCI add-in card featuring the Sil3112a controller with two SATA-150 channels. The card is manufactured by Innovision under the marketed name of InnoVision EIO 8301 RAID edition. Basically, it's built around a Sil3122a chipset flashed with the RAID version of the BIOS.

Both componets (HDD and SATA PCI controller) arrived yesterday. And that's when all hell broke lose.

The sympthoms:
Windows recognizes the controller and installs the drivers.
I can create partitions and format them.
However.
When trying to acces the partitions, it simply hangs erraticaly for long perriods of time (tens of seconds) the sortly comes to life, then hangs again, and so on.
That goes for benchmarking, copying files on the partitons, formating wihout the "quick" option and anything tha requires longer and sustained acces on the drive.

What I've tried:
I've been up the entire last nigth searching the Internet and trying various solution for the problem
I've tried a few version of BIOSES for Sil3112a, both the SATARAID and the SATALink (IDE) ones.
For each version of BIOS I've tried the latest version of the driver, (ussing the correspondign version, SATARAID driver for RAID BIOS and Satalink driver for IDE BIOS) as reccomended by Silicon Image.

There was no change in behavior, however.
Still able to format and acces the partition, still freezing on sustained acces.

Please help with some advice.
Is this a hopeless incompatibility situation?
Anyone had the same problem solved?