Hard Drive failure or something else?

CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
edited May 2006 in Hardware
I picked up a Seagate 300GB SATA drive about 4 months ago. I've been getting random corrupt system files every now and then (happened 3 times since purchased, most recent was this morning).

The first time this happened was when I was working on the case - the door was open and at the time I thought I discharged a bit of static electricity.

Every time this has happened, I've been able to get up and running by letting the WinXP install disc do a scan and repair, except today, when they said it was a corrupt /system32/system file. I'm reinstalling as we speak.

I'm wondering if it's a loose SATA connection? Possible molex connector issue? Or the most annoying - bum hard drive.

What does everyone here think? I had an 80GB maxtor in this computer case for a year and a half without incident (Antec P180).

Thanx!

Comments

• EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    First backup all the important data on the hard disk, from this point it could only get worse.

Then test the hard disk drive, using the Seagate test software.

If it fails then save the error report in the log file to be included when you are
    RMA' ing the disk.

Seagate.
    Maybe you should check the internal power lines is okay, the 12 V and 5 V.
    Just to rule them out from the problem itself.

Once an hard disk starts degenerating, it will continue to give you problem.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It could easily be a loose SATA cable. If you have a newer one you could try it if the curent cable feels loose. Otherwise take the action Esso offered.
  • CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
    edited May 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    It could easily be a loose SATA cable. If you have a newer one you could try it if the curent cable feels loose. Otherwise take the action Esso offered.

Don't they make locking SATA cables, and if so, do you need more current hardware for them? I have an NF7-S mobo.

I reinstalled Windows, and it gave me a new install, preserving all the old data. Backed up to my server and am reinstalling again with a format.

If it happens again, I'm RMA'ing the hd. Drive does not show any bad sectors.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    In order to make the RMA acknowledged by Seagate, you must be sure that it's is the drive, and nothing else.
    Because they will be testing it, and if the found no problem with the HDD, they might just return it back to you.

Please check the cable as mtgoat suggested, sometimes the cable is not connected correctly, causing symtoms like this.

Why not change the SATA cable, and see if that helps.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Crimguy wrote:
    Don't they make locking SATA cables, and if so, do you need more current hardware for them? I have an NF7-S mobo.

I reinstalled Windows, and it gave me a new install, preserving all the old data. Backed up to my server and am reinstalling again with a format.

If it happens again, I'm RMA'ing the hd. Drive does not show any bad sectors.
    The SATA headers on the NF7-S were horrible for coming loose. I battled with mine a lot near the end. The newer cables are more locking and my help for now. I put some rubber cement on mine after plugging the cable to the header. It worked quite well. ;)
  • CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
    edited May 2006
    OK more problems. I found out I'm getting errors on memtest86. I stuck another stick of ram in last week, which preceeded my catastrophic crash by a couple of days. However I've gotten the corrupt system32/cache/system file before the upgrade.

I'm playing with the slot configurations/timings etc to get the memory right (I don't think it's defective - it's just that I'm mixing 3.3.3.8 with 3.4.4.8) and will keep you all posted.

Thanks everyone for the help.

BTW I picked up a new SATA cable - it's a much more snug fit so I hope it helps.:usflag: