Audio/Video not syncing on ripped DVDs

Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
edited May 2006 in Internet & Media
Eventually I intend to have my whole DVD collection ripped and on my new Creative Zen Vision: M, however I'm running into problems on the first discs. After only a couple minutes the audio will be .5 seconds behind the video, and by the end of the movie it's up to about 15 seconds. I've tried multiple formats and bit rates, but nothing is working.

Here's what I've tried so far.
Attempt 1 and 2
Video
Codec: mpeg4
Resolution: 320x240
bit rate: 1200
Frame Rate: Auto

Audio
Codec: mp3
bit rate: 128 also tried this at 64
Sample rate: 48000
Channels: 2

Attempt 3
Video
Codec: mpeg
Resolution: 320x240
bit rate: 2000
Frame Rate: 25

Audio
Codec: mp2
bit rate: 198
Sample rate: 44100
Channels: 2
None of them seemed to work, is there a setup that will work best? Also what does the sample rate mean? I've looked up some defenitions but they didn't make much sense to me.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited May 2006
    I seem to remember having a similar problem when I used to rip DVDs using the old way of ripping the dvd compressing and then dubbing the two back together. I found the problem was to do with the sample rate of the audio. What software are you using?
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited May 2006
    RichD wrote:
    I seem to remember having a similar problem when I used to rip DVDs using the old way of ripping the dvd compressing and then dubbing the two back together. I found the problem was to do with the sample rate of the audio. What software are you using?

I'm using ImTOO DVD ripper. If I hit back and come back to the video the audio and video are resynched, but not for very long.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited May 2006
    Iv never used that. The problem I had was that there was separate software for compressing and dubbing. When you dubbed you had to specify the audio sample rate. The compressing software by default would compress the audio to 20Khz but the dubbing software would not accept that rate. The nearest was 22kHz and so consequently the audio would get progresively more out of sync.

If it starts in sync and gets worse I would suggest it is a problem with the sample rate. If it is just a case of the audio being offset then that is a different matter.

I know its not an answer but it might help a bit. In the end I gave up trying to rip DVDs coz it just took too long.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It's probably the program. AutoGK can program the resolution and audio bitrate you'll need, and it'll do it a HELL of a lot better than ImTOO or whatever the hell you're using will.

Rip the DVD with DVD Decrypter and encode with the newest version of AutoGK. Set the resolution to 320x240, force a maximum file size to whatever you need it to be, and set the MP3 bitrate to 128. It'll work. I promise.