PhysX Card Question

RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
edited May 2006 in Hardware
OK, I've purposely left myself out of the loop for the last few months when it comes to new PC technology... This is to try to quell the "I NEED TO BUILD A NEW PC!!" Monster......

But I have a noob PhysX Question...

Are these cards used in tandem with a regular graphics card?

Or are they stand alone?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    They are standalone PCI cards.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited May 2006
    And not really worth it yet. They actually pull down the FPS of the 3 or 4 games they support at the moment. I would wait till you can get them intigrated with vid cards. By then the technology will be fairly perfected.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    as of now it will run in a PCI slot, with Ghost Recon being the only Demo game on the market that supports the hardware, I also don't see the point of it, but at E3 I would say 7 out of 10 games used Physics of some sort that will make use of the tech. But in all honesty i see the tech dropping in price in a year or becoming a onboard chip with ATI or Nvidia in the future.... I mean it is only time until one of these companies fork the cash out for the tech.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    If you can read past the biases, Hardforum.com has a whole section devoted to PPU cards.
  • edited May 2006
    I wouldn't expect any games to be released for at least another year and a half that will make good use of PPUs. Even UT2K7 has little use for it outside of pretty explosions.

Like when 3D accelerators first hit the market, it will take at least a solid year for game engines to make good use of the technology, and another year after that for them to actually require it.
  • MikeybobMikeybob Middle o' Farmer Land
    edited May 2006
    Apparently there is an awesome chess game for PhysX ;)

[edit]

...And they do run in line with your GFX card, to the best of my knowledge.