Data Recovery (is it really lost?)

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I posted in another folder about my experience having a new 200 Gb drive ( 3 partitions)crash on me.
It seems that Win2K does not like large drives. I really thought that having all the SP installed would help eleviate that large drive issue. Well, I was wrong.

I have built up a list of actions I am planning on attemping in order to (a) restore the hard drive back to a usable state or (b) recover the data from the one partition (maybe without having to rename the files)

* Rebuild and reair Win2K in order resolve NTLDR issue
* Verify registry has LBA enabled
* If previous fail try to use Mandrak Move in order to move the data back to the network drive
* I know that PC Inspector (excellent freeware) can find the files however, I don't want to have to rename them

Does my plan make sense?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Give testdisk a go at restoring your lost partitions :)

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
  • edited May 2006
    You can try [BRAND X WONDER SOFTWARE (gratuitous link removed)]

Post edited by Leonardo. No free advertising here, Kathe...or Bruce, or Bill, or Spamina, whatever your name is. If your product is so darn good, it should sell without spamming.

Good riddance.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Leonardo: +1
  • edited May 2006
    I found a piece of software to use as TestDisk was not able to meet my needs.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    jester89 wrote:
    I found a piece of software to use as TestDisk was not able to meet my needs.

What software did you end up using, for future reference?
  • edited May 2006
    I used Active@undelete. It had a prices tag but from my experience it was worth it.

I wanted to share but also wanted to make sure that I didn't stray from the forum rules.