New User needs help

edited May 2006 in Hardware
OK....i stumbled upon this site while researching a problem i was having with a newly built computer. Finding now fix for my problem i decided to make an account here, because it seemed that the users here know what there talking about....so here goes my problem.

OK yesterdy got my new mobo in the mail: an asrock that supports both AGP and PCI E.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

so im building the computer, everything goes off w/ out a hitch, my other hardware if it helps is gonna be:
an AMD 3200
a PCIE BFG 7600 GT OC
1 gig of corsair 3200 (2 sticks of 512)
a 40gb hd w/ my o.s. on it
a 320 w/ all my games/movies/music
a random brand c.d. burner

OK so computer starts booting up, gets to the point were i need to select an O.S. (using style xp, so i need to choose between modded boot screen or standard) i chose the standard boot screen.
almost instantly i see a flash of blue then comp restarts

i try again and this time choosing the modded boot screen
restarts again

i go into bios and change the primary display adapter from agp to pcie
restarts again

SOOOO i bring the H.D.D. to my friends computer and see that the o.s. wont boot on that one
bummer, i reformat, didnt loose too much cuz my games are on my other drive

SO reformat, comp boots up on secondary system, cool cool
bring it to the new comp and reboots again
SO i switch from my PCIE card to a GeForce 4200 AGP....i get no video at all
i go thru bios on my PCIE card and change the primary display to my agp slot
i even take out teh PCIE card completely and still no video on 4200.

I put a copy of linux Gnoppix in the trey, it starts to boot then has no drivers for my 7600 :(

i double checked everything is assembled right: ram is seated properly, same w/ processor and heatsink, video cards are correct etc.

SOOO i have no clue what the problems are, my only hunches would be that my 7600 is not on the HCL and the only way to fix this is to install the drivers while the drive is in my friends working comp.

if anyone has any ideas or ANYTHING that my point me in the right direction please help me out.

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Can you get into safe mode? Maybe the flash of blue is a BSOD and you can change the option about rebooting on BSOD so you can read what info it's got. Also, some info should appear in the system log--but either way you'll need safe mode to access it or change the setting; or maybe you can just boot the drive in someone else's computer.
  • edited May 2006
    nah, safemode does the same thing
    i can use a boot disk though, i was about to use norton ghost to copy a drive to my drive cuz i didnt wanna format it, so i can get to a command prompt
    just seems taht it doesnt like windows....
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    I wounder if you managed to install the Windows on your PC.
    Also if your friends machine uses the same motherboard as yours, i.e. the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939.

If not then try to install the Windows on your system
    Make sure you are using the latest bios.

But first you can test that your hardware is okay, using the UltimateBootCD software.
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

If you know that the GeForce 4200 AGP is ok using other motherboards.
    And that all bios settings is ok, then the motherboard might be bad.

You can get the manual etc here,
    http://www.asrock.com/Drivers/Manual/939Dual-SATA2.pdf
    http://www.asrock.com/product/939SLI32-eSATA2.htm
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    My hunch is a mobo droiver issue. Did you install mobo drivers before you did an OS install? This is a new OS install right?
    Any fragment of old mobo drivers can be a real problem. I have moved drives between mobo in the past, but only if they were the same make and used the same chipset.