Computer won't hold OC

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Hardware
I used to have the exact system at 2.4GHz, now it won't stay over default 2GHz. I figured it might be the CMOS battery, but it remembers the other settings just fine like my Memory timings and such. I even had it sowing up on one boot with the settings, then I rebooted to OC some more and noticed it was set back to default settings for the processor, speed and voltages. But yet all the other settings are where I left them for memory and other configurations.

This is for an Athlon X2 3800+ with Abit Fatality AN8-SLI and 2GB(4DIMMs) PC3200 Kingston memory.

I haven't used the system in like a month... and IIRC I had reset my BIOS for some reason which I do remember was a false call. So now I am just trying to put it back on the same settings as before :(

I notice no instability, doesn't crash, haven't done any hard tests though as I just instlled Windows back on it becuase I was doing some linux tests before I stopped using it.

Anyways.. any ideas?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Possible weak but not yet dead CMOS battery.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I noticed something just now... when I set the clock and boot into windows, the clock is set properly.... WTF?

I go back into the BIOS though and it's not set accordingly??????
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Did a reboot and it actually seems that it does hold... just not when I go into my BIOS. I am back at 2.4GHz which is enough for me :) Damn I love this beast, wish it where a smaller beast though... but that new LCD panel will make it all better MUAHAHAA
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    A battery is only $2.00.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    $2.00 plus getting off my ass... and that my friend is not worth it. :werr:
    J\K I'll pick one up tonight on my way home from work, being that I'll be up off my ass at that moment ;D