Random Crashing?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Hardware
My computer, that btw has never crashed before, is now randomly crashing. Some othe issues have arisen as well which I will try to detail quickly.

First, the system ran all night encoding a batch of videos... no problems.

It [seems] to crash the most while transferring the videos to my external USB drive.

My USB drive was plugged in all night while doing the batch encode... but wasn't being used.

It also happens randomly... so far I haven't seen it crash to my knowledge without my USB drive plugged in.

Other USB devices are plugged in it as well which doesn't crash the system to my knowledge.

My USB wireless Logitech Keyboard suddenly stopped working, the cradle peice doesn't light up, it was working last night but not today. My USB wired mouse works though and so does the USB drive.

I haven't used this system in like a month before yesterday. I just installed windows...

I guess after detailing all this it would seem to be my USB drive, perhaps a driver issue... but yet I was able to use it without a hitch a couple times... but after a few crashes...

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Possible HD death
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Doesn't crash my other computers ;)

I forgot to list my system specs for the PC with the trouble...
    A64 X2 3800+
    Abit Fatality AN8SLI
    Geforce 6600GT
    2GB DDR400 - 4DIMMs Kingston HyperX
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    not the usb drive , the systems main drive
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Well normally if that is the case I'd be the BSOD, but it just locks up instead.
  • edited May 2006
    I wonder if this is tied in to your OC thread from a couple of days ago....
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I unclocked it, set to default for everything. Funny thing is that it didn't start till lastnight, though I think it did freeze a couple times in the day I didn't think muchof it.
  • edited May 2006
    Could be an issue with the mobo. I'm wondering if it's on the way out.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    madmat wrote:
    Could be an issue with the mobo. I'm wondering if it's on the way out.
    BINGO!

RWB
    You do know Abit's are now just ECS with the "Abit" name on them. :hiding:

But I am dead serious!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It runs fine without USB, ran it for 6 months or so without a single hitch.. I hate tosound like the asses Ihelp on the phone, but "I never had a problem before".

Could it not be a driver issue? I am thinking possibly trying to reinstall USB2.0 and see what happens, but I don't know how to do that with XP.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    RWB wrote:
    It runs fine without USB, ran it for 6 months or so without a single hitch.. I hate tosound like the asses Ihelp on the phone, but "I never had a problem before".

Could it not be a driver issue? I am thinking possibly trying to reinstall USB2.0 and see what happens, but I don't know how to do that with XP.

I've seen USB devices do all sorts of wonky things like that. I'd suggest removing any installed USB drivers, and manually removing every USB root hub device from the device manager. Upon reboot, it should redetect everything. That has corrected some bugs for me in the past. May also be worth looking for a BIOS update..

Good luck. Those types of problems can be really frustrating at times.