Epson All-In-One Scanner Problem

My Epson CX4600 is one of them nice AIO dealies that seem to do everything. It'd be nice if they actually did since the scanner on it doesn't even want to work now.

I took it apart, the little scanny thing goes right across without a problem, put it back together and took out the near-empty ink cartriages.

So now my question is 1. if I want to scan, do I need to put in full ink? 2. If yes to 1, then why?

Epson site's been useless for me, I ran their help file and it didn't help because nothing was wrong (according to the program.)

If you need more info, I'll gladly post it and thanks in advance.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    How old is that machine? If it's more than a couple of years I may have a different answer for you than if it's fairly new. ;)
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited May 2006
    Have you got any flashing lights on the control panel. There are various combinations which sometimes can point one in the right direction. I have a CX3200 (I think) which caused me all sorts of grief until I found out the logic behind Epson's way od doing things.
  • edited May 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    How old is that machine? If it's more than a couple of years I may have a different answer for you than if it's fairly new. ;)

Not that old, I've had it less than two years, possibly less than one and it's been in storage until now (nothing heavier than a pound touching the lid and no pressure on the bottom/sides)
  • edited May 2006
    Crypto wrote:
    Have you got any flashing lights on the control panel. There are various combinations which sometimes can point one in the right direction. I have a CX3200 (I think) which caused me all sorts of grief until I found out the logic behind Epson's way od doing things.

I'll double check the lights, I know I went through a sequence once and it was pretty useless but if there's help for it, I'll be glad to hear any thoughts

I'll add a new comment when I get to checking the lights