AMD 1800 XP Hangs mid POST/BIOS Need advice please.

hbi1000hbi1000 Asheville, NC USA
edited May 2006 in Hardware
Hi All,

One of my machines:

ASUS a7n8x (plain Jane) mobo
AMD 1800 XP+
1.5 GB Memory (tested OK a week ago)
350W Atng (came with box) PS
LAN/Sound/4 USB/2 PS/2/Parallel and Serial Port intergrated in MoBo
1 WB 20GB C:
1 Samsung 60 GB D:
1 DVD Reader
US Robotics WinModem

Brief history: I have not been able to get into the BIOS for about a month now and cannot remember if there was any causal event; however, the machine continued to run. Last week (been away for 5 days) the machine just stopped mid POST/BIOS (after listing IDE devices) with "Press F1 to enter Setup" at page bottom (usual place for command note). If you press F1 the screen goes blank and the machine does nothing (just like it had been doing when it was running without being able to access BIOS for the past month or two).

I'd appreciate any advice, since my only option would be to purchase another mobo that supports processor, memory, etc. Thanks.

HBI1000

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    Hi hbi1000,

The first thing I would try is to remove the CMOS battery from the mainboard. Leave it out for about 5-10 minutes, and then reinsert. Be sure the PC is not plugged in when you do this. See if that helps.

Let us know how that goes.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Listen to lemonlime - that is good advice. :cheers:

Make sure you move the CMOS jumper to the "clear" position while you do that. If you have a voltage tester you should also test the battery while you're at it. Most are 3.3V, but it should be marked on the battery in any case.

Good luck, hbi1000. :)
  • hbi1000hbi1000 Asheville, NC USA
    edited May 2006
    Hi LemonLime,

Your suggestion worked out just fine for restoring my CMOS/BIOS in fact it let me update to the latest BIOS version; however, I still cannot boot anything from my CDROM (yes it is the #1 listed item in the boot sequence).
    The BIOS recognizes and lists the Master/Slave IDE0 configured disks, and the CDROM on IDE1, so it's not as if it does not know the boot disk (which I checked with FDISK and it is ACTIVE) or the CDROM is there; it for some reason just will not access them???

The machine will boot my W98 boot disk and come up in DOS. I'll try and access my CDROM from DOS to see if I can get my XP disks to run setup or something. XP disk Setup cannot be run in DOS mode, so I'm sunk on that idea (I've never had any problems with the CDROM and it has been working fine). When I hit the ENTER Bar to boot from CDROM all I get is a blank screen; but not with the WIN98 boot disk. I would appreciate any suggstions, thanks.

HBI1000

lemonlime wrote:
    Hi hbi1000,

The first thing I would try is to remove the CMOS battery from the mainboard. Leave it out for about 5-10 minutes, and then reinsert. Be sure the PC is not plugged in when you do this. See if that helps.

Let us know how that goes.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Is the cdrom drive the Master on its IDE Channel? Some systems are finicky if you try to boot from a Slave drive.