Which Folding Client?

TroganTrogan London, UK
edited May 2006 in Folding@Home
Going to install F@H on the laptop, now that it has more memory. :clap:

I went to download F@H and saw the 5.04 Beta Client. I hadn't heard of this client until now. I found this thread and saw the date, so the client has been out for a while. Is there any change in 5.04 - is it still Beta? Does it work as a service now?

I want a client that runs as a service. So which client should I download...5.02 or 5.04?

Also, the laptop gets quite hot, would that be a problem with F@H?

Thanks guys! :)

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    I'd recommend the 5.04 Console client. :)

As for the heat, as you have already mentioned, that is a problem for most laptops without Folding. I'd make sure and have a reliable temperature monitor installed and use it to keep a close eye on things. Another trick would be to limit FAH to less than 100% CPU usage. It'll cut into your production, but if you have the machine continually locking up due to heat issues you won't get much production at all, if any. If your temps soar to extreme levels a 75% (or even lower) setting might be a good compromise. :)
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    If you got the skill and you can make an modification for your portable computer.

Make an base station with two fans (40-60 mm), one fan blowing air into the computer were the input for the CPU is located.
    Using a dust filter.

The other FAN placed below the HDD disk drive (with the HDD lid, removed or the lid modifyed), blewing cold air from one corner to the other.

Or you can install one ram disk, with the size of ~50-100 MB for folding timeless WU's.
    Then you can shutdown the harddisk drive ...
    And the only thing your'e gonna need is one small fan cooling down the CPU.

I'm folding timeless WU's, using my Opty 165. And two of thoses uses ~ 18 MB of space.
    Some ramdisk programs are really good, they can be configured to save data to the hard disk drive, every 1-60 minutes.
    So you wouldn't lose any data if it suddenly shutsdown.

I'm using the, Windows NT/2000/XP (as prof stated)
    "No nonsense" text-only console (with built-in Windows-service-install option)

Then its not gonna waste time, updating the widows.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited May 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    I'd recommend the 5.04 Console client. :)

As for the heat, as you have already mentioned, that is a problem for most laptops without Folding. I'd make sure and have a reliable temperature monitor installed and use it to keep a close eye on things. Another trick would be to limit FAH to less than 100% CPU usage. It'll cut into your production, but if you have the machine continually locking up due to heat issues you won't get much production at all, if any. If your temps soar to extreme levels a 75% (or even lower) setting might be a good compromise. :)
    What temp monitor program do you recommed, prof? I'l try the other tricks if the laptop starts to act up. :)

Esso wrote:
    If you got the skill and you can make an modification for your portable computer.

Make an base station with two fans (40-60 mm), one fan blowing air into the computer were the input for the CPU is located.
    Using a dust filter.

The other FAN placed below the HDD disk drive (with the HDD lid, removed or the lid modifyed), blewing cold air from one corner to the other...
    Esso, I don't have any modifying skills yet, so I won't be doing that. Thanks for the suggestion! :)
    Esso wrote:
    ...Or you can install one ram disk, with the size of ~50-100 MB for folding timeless WU's.
    Then you can shutdown the harddisk drive ...
    And the only thing your'e gonna need is one small fan cooling down the CPU.
    I don't have any small fans. :grr:
    Esso wrote:
    I'm folding timeless WU's, using my Opty 165. And two of thoses uses ~ 18 MB of space.
    Some ramdisk programs are really good, they can be configured to save data to the hard disk drive, every 1-60 minutes.
    So you wouldn't lose any data if it suddenly shutsdown.

I'm using the, Windows NT/2000/XP (as prof stated)
    "No nonsense" text-only console (with built-in Windows-service-install option)

Then its not gonna waste time, updating the widows.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html
    Are you using the 5.04 Client?

Thanks Guys! :)
    edited May 2006
    What temp monitor program do you recommed, prof? I'l try the other tricks if the laptop starts to act up...
    See if there is one made by the laptop manufacturer. For a desktop PC I would normally recommend either Motherboard Monitor 5 or SpeedFan, but I don't know if they support the temp sensors for your machine or not.

...I don't have any modifying skills yet, so I won't be doing that.
    It's not going to require any cutting or filing of the machine itself. I think what Esso is getting at is to make a small box or frame to get the laptop up off of the desk and which is also capable of holding a few small fans. Basic carpentry skills would do it. You would probably only use it while the laptop was not in use (except for Folding, of course).

What I'm thinking of could even be done with a sturdy cardboard box, though a little woodworking skill could allow you to come up with something that would look a little nicer on your desk. It's basically a box the size of the bottom of the laptop which is high enough that you could mount a few fans at each end. Drill a bunch of holes in the top and add a few rubber bumpers in between them to allow a little air space between the top of the box and the laptop.

See my cheesy slapped-together picture for a rough idea.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20164&stc=1&d=1148251619

Then there's always Leonardo's ghetto method. :vimp:

I don't have any small fans...
    Then buy some! ;D
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    The portable computer will be used for many hours at maximum CPU load, while folding.
    Please configure it not to use more then 75% of the CPU load.

Folding will make the CPU, memory and hard disk running hot.
    And the little CPU fan in the PC (30 mm ?) will be working hard to get the hot air out from the PC.
    This will shorten its life span.

Frankly speaking they aren't in many cases up to the task.

Using one 80 -120 mm fan to cool down via air pipes directed to the CPU, memory and hard disk drive, will do it.
    Connect the fan to one 9-12 voltage dc adapter.

Folding uses the memory access allot, and portables computer if not designed properly will become overheated.

I'm using the 5.04 non sense console software, it is the best software you can use.
    Because it will not be installed on your computer, messing up the register.
    edited May 2006
    @Prof: I couldn't find a temp monitor for my Packard Bell laptop. Download both MBM 5 and SpeedFan. MBM kept crashing, but SpeedFan works fine. Can you ship me some small fans over? :D

Thanks for the modification explaination. I now see what Esso meant...doesn't seem so hard, but I don't think i'l be doing it unless I have too.

@Esso: Thanks for the help. The thing is, I've never done any "real" work on any PC, so this is all new to me. First time for everything, I guess. :)

===

If i'm reading SpeedFan right, its showing the temp at 47C. I've installed the 5.04 client...been running for about 15 mins, no problem so far.

Took this screenshot of F@H. Did I answer the questions correctly?
    F@H.JPG 129.4K
    SF.JPG 27.5K
    edited May 2006
    It looks like the only thing SpeedFan can measure is the HD. I'll look around and see if there is another temp monitor which will work with your machine, but with a laptop it can be tricky.
    @Prof: ...Can you ship me some small fans over? :D
    Sure, as soon as your cheque clears. :vimp:
    ...Took this screenshot of F@H. Did I answer the questions correctly?
    Looks good to me. :wave:
    edited May 2006
    Prof, i've currently stopped running F@H on the laptop. I'l probably get it running again at one point, but not right now. Sorry for the trouble!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Well.. thanks for trying. :thumbsup: