Ati Radeon 9550 agp 256 meg

edited October 2006 in Hardware
I have an Emachine t2080 with winxp sp2 512ddr ram. I recently tried to upgrade the video card with this ati radeon 9550 256 meg. It worked intially had it installed and after a second restart the monitor will not come on the light never turns green. I take the card out it reverts to the onboard video card fine I uninstalled it and tried disabling it checked the bios all it says is to make agp first and agp aperture size I have set that to 64 to 256 none of those settings change anything. I tried the ati in my hp brio works fine so its not a problem with that card. I don't know why the card worked at first then not at all.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Press F8 when booting and choose "Boot into VGA mode" and set the proper resolution and refresh rates once it's booted. If your card is pushing either beyond the ability of the monitor as windows loads the monitor will just shut off.

Or if you go from onboard graphics do this.

Right Click Desktop -> properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor -> Screen Refresh Rate.

Now select something in the 55 range and see if it works...

It doesn't matter that your monitor can run at 100 hertz, it is what that GPU can support, and knowing it is a 9550 I am guessing it is around 55 to 60 hertz.
  • edited May 2006
    Ok this is one of the strangest problems I got the card to work twice now but after rebooting nothing the pc doesn't even load the hard drive flashes a few times then goes off the monitor light stays orange. I have the onboard disabled in the device manager also the drivers are removed from add/remove programs. The bios is set to AGP with 256 aperture. I have a pc that the card works fine in my hp that has a slower processor. It won't let me change the refresh rate on the monitor its hooked to now it only has use default setting as an option. The hp will boot on either montior with the 256 card in it 75 refresh rate

Press F8 when booting and choose "Boot into VGA mode" and set the proper resolution and refresh rates once it's booted. If your card is pushing either beyond the ability of the monitor as windows loads the monitor will just shut off.

Or if you go from onboard graphics do this.

Right Click Desktop -> properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor -> Screen Refresh Rate.

Now select something in the 55 range and see if it works...

It doesn't matter that your monitor can run at 100 hertz, it is what that GPU can support, and knowing it is a 9550 I am guessing it is around 55 to 60 hertz.
  • edited October 2006
    Hi i am very confused. I have windows xp sp 2 and i am using a amd athlon 64. i had the ati 9800 all in wonder. it worked ok. . it had a few problems thats why i bought a new video card. well i got the ati radeon 9550 Agp 256 ddr video card. windows started up the first time. then it did a install from the cd then my computer restarted. but would not go into regular windows. so i went into safe mode tryed to check the adapter of the video card it said n/a on all of the information. so i downloaded a new driver from ati. thinking i had a bad driver. well when i was trying to install it kept comming up no inf driver found. well i found a driver from a different site. i used it and then windows loaded up into reg mode. then my computer froze then it started restarting by itself. then all of a sudden i can not go into safe mode and when windows trys to load i actually see the mouse then the monitor turns off and says monitor resloutin to high or something like that. i am very confused. is it windows driver error. or is it The video card. i don't understand why i can see the bios and boot screen it the video card is bad. so thats why i think it is driver related. but safe mode will not even start no. does anybody know what i can do. i have onboard video also i hooked the monitor up to it and i see no video. i also put the 9800 back in i see the video in the boot screen but when windows loads it is no good and safe mode will not load either. can you change window settings. thanks in advance dewey.