Need some knowledgable PC advice.

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I have some question about my rig. First here are the specs on my PC:

Tyan Tiger 133 S1834 Mobo w/Dual 800mh PIIIs
1GB PC 100/133 RAM
Radeon 9200SE 128mb AGP
Creative Sound Blaster Live
8 and 30 gig HDs

I play a lot of MMOs but get less than perfect performance from my system.
My main question is about finding an upgraded video card that will work on my system. I tried a Radeon X1300 and Radeon 9550 and both cards caused my system not to boot, and I am not sure why. It might be the AGP compliance but I am not sure. Does nVidia make a card that would work with my system perhaps, that is an upgrade to the 9200SE?

Also if not capable of upgrading the card then I need to find a way to upgrade my basic system and still be able to use my existing RAM and cards. The reason being that I am a stay at home dad of two kids. With only one income the budget becomes extremely tight. So tight that my wife thinks that a 4-5 year old system doesn't need replacing. So any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    What is the most you'd be willing to spend on upgrades?
  • edited May 2006
    Without sounding stupid, I managed to get 150$ for a video card, so that is where I started. On top of that I am not sure. Haven't gotten approval for a budget, lol. sorry to be vague
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited May 2006
    I'm not a expert, but if you tried another video card and your pc did not boot, maybe you don't have a big enough power supply. Do you know how strong your power supply is?
  • edited May 2006
    I am using a 300w power supply. It met the requirements for both of the cards I tried. In my BIOS all of my power checks are in line. Was what I thought it was also for a while.
  • edited May 2006
    what brand is your power supply?

bikerboy
  • edited May 2006
    My power supply is a HP-300SN.

Also, Primesuspect, I can maybe push $300 for upgrades. Big maybe.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    rsbrash wrote:
    My power supply is a HP-300SN.

Also, Primesuspect, I can maybe push $300 for upgrades. Big maybe.

Did you try eBay?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    The power requirements for those cards assume you're not running a dual-processor system. You need to be realistic about your power requirements and how much stuff is in your system. I ran a similar system on a 330W Antec for awhile but adding a second hard drive made it majorly unhappy. The problem went away with a 430W supply.

You ought to be able to find some cheap P3's in the 1.1GHz+ range that will net you some nice performance gains. Also investigate using Tualatin processors on Upgradeware Slot-T slockets. Tualatin-core P3s are a major upgrade over the Coppermines with higher efficiency and double the cache.

-drasnor :fold: