fuzzy text... hurting eyes...

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited May 2006 in Hardware
No idea if this is a video card problem but ever since i got this 19" 16 MS BANQ monitor its been crap...

No dead pixels but theres something wrong with it, The text just doesnt seem right and I feel like im going blind sometimes. In games the shades just arent that great either.

Using a radeon 9800 256mb.... dont know what I should do

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    You are running at the native resolution/color depth right?

do you have Clear Type turned on? Change the setting, either on or off. On some displays this looks like crap and on some it works wonders.
    control panel-display-appearance-effects
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Are you using Analog or DVI connention?
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    have you tried tuning your cleartype?

ClearType Tuner PowerToy
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/7/0/b7019730-0fa3-47a9-a159-98b80c185aad/setup.exe
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited May 2006
    analog right now, I have to buy DVI cable for my monitor if it helps that much.

I will repost later after following other posts
    edited May 2006
    I just know in some cases a DVI cable makes all things better. I had an old scholl dell 19" LCD running on analog, once I use a DVI cable it was like going from Black & White TV to full color.

It was that amazing....
    edited May 2006
    Yeah, Unfortunatley my monitor didnt come with any DVI cable... but can use it.

My monitor seems like a DVI-D and my videocard is DVI?

I dont know how they connectors work but the holes look different.
    edited May 2006
    Usualy you will see different patterns in a LCD DVI and a GC DVI, but if you get a standard DVI cable for Monitors you should be fine. It is when you get projects is when you need to really look at the connect type.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited May 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    You are running at the native resolution/color depth right?

You never answered this question, this is the first thing to check with any LCD if your text doesn't look right.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    DVI makes a big difference over analog.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    If you are not running native resolution it will never look crisp.
    Check it out.
    edited May 2006
    I am now checking, I have been very busy latley. Thanks for all posts hopfully we can get this figured out.

And I dont need to a buy a new monitor (still regret getting a 16ms when I could get a 8ms)
    edited May 2006
    ok clear type doesnt help, how do I find out if im running this resolution? where at?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    it's probably 1280x1024. What specific model do you have?
    edited May 2006
    native resolution and color depth? Im running it all on 1280x1024
    edited May 2006
    Let me know what happenes when a DVI cable is in place... ut my new moto to this thread is...
    If it is fuzzy and hurts your eyes I don't think you should be looking at it....
    edited May 2006
    haha,

I will see what happens. Hopfully I can pick up a cable tommorow
    edited May 2006
    Might look at some other monitors too
  • rykoryko new york
    edited May 2006
    it's the pixel pitch of the larger 19" 1280x1024 monitors over their 17" cousins.... .294 versus .264. this is the main reason why 19" lcds seem pointless to me. you have to jump up to a 20" 1600x1200, .255 pixel pitch to get a better picture. 19" lcds are just stretched 17" ones, that's why i think your text looks blurry.

i should know, i have a 19" siting right next to a 17" and the way older 17" has clearer text even though the newer 19" has better specs and brighter colors. both are DVI...
    edited May 2006
    its true! I upgraded from a 17"

and with the 17" was so much better.... so are you saying I should maybe stick with 17"?

PS my 17" fryed *smoking* so thats why I had to get a new monitor
  • rykoryko new york
    edited May 2006
    if you are want 1280x1024, then i would stick with a 17"....i wish i had...i could have saved $100 bucks.

however if you can afford to jump up to a 1600x1200 i would do that instead. i think this is the sweet spot for lcds...

but then comes the question of whether or not your videocard is good enough to play games at 1600x1200. my x800xl is probably not enough to do so with AA/AF, so that is why i went with a 19" 1280x1024. I think i'll end up giving this 19" lcd to my girlfriend and get a 20.1" 1600x1200 for myself...i also see a videocard upgrade in my future...
    edited May 2006
    Are you saying that having a 19" on 1280x1024 resolution stretches the text? and that its ment for 17"

Im running a radeon 9800 256mb.

I like "19 but I might have to go back to 17" in this case.....

Im not sure right now cause this monitor im ready to STAB my eyes out. I am getting a DVI cable today before I reach insanity.
    edited May 2006
    You know I have a few 19" Ultra sharps form Dell and they look much crisper than the 17" Ultra sharp. Is it because they are ultra sharps? I never really noticed that much.
    edited May 2006
    With your video card, you want to stay at 1280x1024. I have an X850XT and some newer games like Oblivion are pretty hard on my card even at 1280x1024. A 9800 is gonna choke at 1600x1200 on many games.
    edited May 2006
    I think a 9800 will choke on medium graphics for Oblivion or most new games...at 1280 x 1024 let alone 1600 x 1200
    edited May 2006
    My kids play oblivion on a 9800 pro at 1024x768 and it runs pretty good. 1280x1024, yeah it might choke a bit.
    edited May 2006
    I might buy a new monitor and go back to 17", my friend brought up a good point... With 19" your eye can focus on the whole screen and kinda has to look around. with 17" you can get a good focus of the screen...

Hmm..... Not sure what to do. What do you guys think of your 19"+ inches of monitor? You think 17" is better?

It might just be my monitor in general.... Im not using New Egg to get my monitor this time around its just too much risk if you get a bad one and sending it back.

Gonna have to check in on the local stores.
    edited May 2006
    Oh and something to add, what video cards out there think I should get? -300 dollar price budget, I feel like upgrading from a 9800.

My mobo can handle PCI express x16 and highest AGP (which i hear is non existent)
    edited May 2006
    TBH I would never go back to 17" way to small. I love my 19" LCDs and my 20.1" Dell has some great monitors in the ultra sharp series. if I could I would buy 2 24" wide screens.

If you like ATI a x 1800 is your buy

If you liek Nvidia a 7900GT is the one you want