How can I access these 68GB!

edited May 2006 in Hardware
i wont bore you with the details of my computer unless you will need them.

basically though, my computer has a 160BG hard drive. Now, I have used the allocated amount on my C drive which amounts to about 78GB. Obviously i have found how to check where memory is being used... but then i came across drive D. Which has 68GB allocated to it... and it only uses 2% of that.

surely there is a way to move some of that memory to the C drive? or have i totally lost the plot and there is no way to do it? could anyone explain?

i need that memory :D feels like its sitting ontop of a cupboard being wasted atm.. after all i did pay for it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Alex Taylor

Comments

• edited May 2006
    your pc specs would be nice.
    mobo, cpu, memory, PSU, etc.

bikerboy
  • edited May 2006
    System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 1

Computer:
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
    3.06GHz
    512 of RAM

Sorry, im not that much of a computer whizz. If you need anything else just punch in some instructions and ill get them for you.

thanks
  • edited May 2006
    System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 1

Computer:
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
    3.06GHz
    512 of RAM

Sorry, im not that much of a computer whizz. If you need anything else just punch in some instructions and ill get them for you.

thanks

What is acctually stopping you from accessing the space ?

sounds like you have a partition

maybe its not formatted ?

you can use an application such as partition magic to reallocate the space on d to c without losing data

hope that helps.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Your hard drive has been partitioned into two separate logical hard drives of the sizes you've indicated. Without special, third-party tools, or a complete reformat and restructuring of your hard disk's partitions, you can not reallocate the space on D:\ to that on C:\.

Is that your problem? Or can you not even access information beyond 137gb of your drive?

As an aside, you'll find that your data will be much safer in the long run if you keep all your important information on D:\ and just the operating system on C:\, so if your OS ever croaks on you, you can do a reformat+reinstall without affecting your data.