Internal SATA drive appears as external

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I have connected my SATA harddrive (WDC WD2500JS-22MH80) to the Sata1 connection on my A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard.
I had no trouble loading windows and the puter runs well.
However I get the little green arrow in my icons on the toolbar with the option to safely remove hardware.
When I click on it my only selection is for removing my hard drive drive.
Do I Have to set (or not set) something in bios.
I disabled Pri and Sec IDE as I have no IDE drives now, and enabled SATA 1 in the main bios page.
I am at a loss as I don't want the kids removing it when they plug there ipod shuffle or thumb drives in.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Zig

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Nothing is wrong, it's just that these MB's have the SATA which are hot swapable. Mine does the same, I have the Abit version of what you got. The AN8-SLI Fatal1ty.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    RWB wrote:
    Nothing is wrong, it's just that these MB's have the SATA which are hot swapable. Mine does the same, I have the Abit version of what you got. The AN8-SLI Fatal1ty.

Which is a good thing, if you buy an external hot swap enclosure, you can swap drives in and out. (just make sure you dont pull the one with the os, lol.)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Which is a good thing, if you buy an external hot swap enclosure, you can swap drives in and out. (just make sure you dont pull the one with the os, lol.)

I'd hope that'd be common sence for anyone on these forums, but the people I help over the phone on a daily basis are special people... I am almost tempted to help them out by blocking their MAC address so they know exactly why they cannot connect. Thank you for calling :thumbsup:

Back on topic, that unplug icon is kinda annoying when you have no other devices plugged in that you would unplug like external drives and such. I may have to look through the BIOS and see if there is a feature to turn off hot swapping.
  • edited May 2006
    Thanks guys, now I don't feel so stupid.
    racked my brain for hours trying to figure it out.

It all runs smoothly so I will leave it as is til a fix is created.
    Zig