Stange RAM problem

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I recently purchased 2 GB of Dual Channel OCZ Platinum DDR PC3200 RAM for my ABIT AV8 Motherboard (I purchased the system a year ago from Alienware), adding to the 2x512MB Corsair XMS PC3200 I had. When I installed the new RAM into my mobo (DIMMs 3 and 4), my computer made some long beeps and I didn't have a live screen (the orange 'standby' button remained on on the monitor, didn't turn green). So I tried it in my other comp (a Dell), and it worked. So I tried the Corsair in the other DIMMs, and it worked. In short, all the pieces on the motherboard work, and all the RAM modules work... just not together. Any stick of the OCZ RAM in any combination gives me the same error.

I tried clearing the CMOS, to no avail. The POST codes I'm getting are 0.2. and 0.4., neither of which are defined in my manual. This same thing happened when I bought 2x1GB of Corsair Value Select, but I just offloaded those into my Dell, not wanted to deal with the problem and figured it wasn't worth losing the benefit of my low latency (and figuring I'd eventually be overclocking, which I'm not yet).

I'm really at a loss, I don't know what else to try, and since the POST codes don't make sense I don't know where to go from here. I could call tech support, but I a) don't want to re-run through the hour+ of swapping and testing tech support will force me to do that I've already done, and b) don't have the time to do a 1-2 hour tech call for the next couple days (until Sunday). Any advice/suggestions/solutions would be much, much appreciated.

Comments

• edited May 2006
    Do you have your ram timings set in bios to "set by spd" perhaps. It sounds like you are having some problem with the mobo and different sets of ram with different spd setting messing you up. Try going into bios and manually setting some conservative ram timings such as 2.5-4-4-10 (with only 2 sticks installed of course, so it will boot) and also set a 2T command rate and then shutting down and installing the second pair of dimms. Hopefully with the ram timings manually set and your command rate at 2T, your machine will boot.
  • edited May 2006
    Wow you guys are fast. I'll try it now.

OK, tried it, made some progress. Exact steps I took was
    -go into Bios->Advanced chipset features->DRAM configuration->change to Manual settings->CAS Latency Rate(changed from 2.5 to 3)->Save and Exit (my Command Rate was already 2T).
    My computer boots up, but after the 'Verifying DMI Pool Data' message it tells me the file 'system32/drivers/isapnp.sys is corrupt" (its also told me ntfs.sys and perhaps some others at seemingly random), and to try to reboot with the Windows CD. I did that, and when the CD booted, it told me the file was corrupt as well. Took out the new memory, comp worked fine. Tried it with just one stick of new memory (and the two XMS, three total), and I just got the series of long beeps (ala my first post).
    At least this is going somewhere... what's next?
  • edited May 2006
    No one has any further suggestions? I have 2GB of RAM sitting here, unfortunately (and even worse, I really can't export/normal map what I want until this ram gets installed). If/when I end up calling tech support I'll make sure to post the solution here.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Okay..

You mentioned that you mixed one new stick of OCZ memory with two other sticks of Corsair memory. This is bad practice. While memory can be rated at the same speed and timings, mixing brands often fails to work correctly; this is because each manufacturer produces their RAM in slightly different ways that may be mutually incompatible.

When troubleshooting any sort of memory, it is important to isolate each brand from one another, and within those isolations, test each stick separately. Therefore, if you're trying to assess the cause of the new memory issues, you should test each stick one by one in each of your four memory slots to assure that they all work, and that every slot is indeed functional.

If, at the end of this procedure, you discover that every slot is functioning and that every stick of memory boots and operates your computer correctly, you have successfully deduced that it is an incompatability between your particular models of OCZ and Corsair memory sticks. This is not a deliberate production choice, to be aware, and neither company is attempting to prevent you from using another company's brand at the same time. It, unfortunately, is usually the result of basic electronic and signalling differences in the manufacturer of the chips used by your memory sticks.

So, in summary, try each stick by itself in each of the DIMM slots on your PC to make sure every slot and stick works right. If they do, consider either replacing your Corsair memory with more OCZ to give you the memory total you desire (Recommended, as OCZ is better these days), or return your OCZ and purchase more-of-same Corsair memory.

Kind regards.
  • edited May 2006
    "In short, all the pieces on the motherboard work, and all the RAM modules work... just not together."
    I tried to cover this in my first post. Indeed, I tried all the RAM modules seperately on my Dell, and they all work. I tried a Corsair XMS module in each of my DIMMs on my Alienware, and they all worked.
    Its not that the OCZ and Corsair are incompatible, its that the OCZ doesn't work even by itself, if I remove the Corsair RAM I get the same exact errors. All my RAM works happily in my Dell. I'll check it its brand info if I have time tomorrow (funny, I'd have never thought I'd have anything good to say about my Dell hardware).
  • edited May 2006
    OK Professor, I misunderstood you slightly in your first post. I thought that you were having problems with the ram when you were installing it along with your Corsair ram you already had.

Let's try a few basic ram tests then.

There is a program called Memtest86 that you can download from the front page of this site. Download it and make a bootable floppy or CD (if you don't have a floppy drive) with it and then boot and run Memtest 86 with each stick of the OCZ ram installed and try it in various different slots. If it doesn't pass then PM MackanzOCZ here and he will get the RMA started on the ram. If it does pass with both sticks in all slots but still won't boot with both installed, PM him and ask him to read this thread here. He is an OCZ representative and he might know of some compatibility problem or special settings you might need to run your ram.
  • edited May 2006
    Thank yee much, I try it ASAP.
  • edited May 2006
    Another day, another unexplained problem.
    I ran Memtest86 on OCZ stickA and it worked in DIMM1, ran it on OCZ stickB in DIMM1, both passed. Wasn't suprised. So I installed stickA in DIMM1 and booted into Windows... wah! No idea how, but it worked. I check my system info, says 1GB of RAM. OK, I shut down, install stickB in DIMM2, boot into Windows, and it works! 2GB of RAM according to system info.
    So I install CorsairA into DIMM3, boot up, doesn't work, so I install CorsairB into DIMM4 as well and it boots into Windows. I check system information and it says 1GB of RAM. ARGGGHHH!!!
    I decide to switch around the memory, putting Corsair back into DIMM1 and DIMM2 and OCZ into DIMM3 and DIMM4. Boots up OK, I check the system info, and it says 2GB of RAM.
    Now, for some reason, I am only picking up the 2nd pair of DIMMs, and not getting the RAM in the first pair, no matter of what memory is where.
    Fortunately(??), now this looks like a motherboard/settings problem and not a memory/hardware failure problem.
    I don't know how, or why, but suddenly (after running memtest86, at least) my computer is booting up in all the configurations of sticks and slots that it wasn't before. Only one more small problem to go!
  • edited May 2006
    Heh, I'm glad to hear that you are at least making progress, Professor. :thumbsup: Have you tried relaxing all ram timings too, not just the cas? You might try setting it at 3-4-4-10 or something like that and see how the mobo does with all sticks installed. Like you said, it sounds like a mobo issue to me too. Also, you might check and see if Abit might have an updated bios that might help with ram compatibility too.

If all else fails, go to the abit-usa forums and register there and post a thread on your problems. Also, you might PM a moderator there named skou, who is a buddy of mine about your problems and tell him I told you to PM him about it. Maybe he can help dig up some answers too.