Nice little upgrade

gtghmgtghm New
edited May 2006 in Hardware
Well I just had a WD 250gb JB drive crap out on me so I decided based on the price of stuff that I would upgrade to a newer generation video card before AGP starts to get scarce. So I went with the Seagate 400gb 16meg 7200 drive and an ATI All-N-Wonder X800 with 256meg DDR3.

Since I lost the drive I new that a reinstall would be required.
After installing XP Pro SLP w/SP 2 and the very latest ATI drivers I updated XP and installed the latest drivers for my 3ware 7450 I installed 3DMark 2001se and ran that it was something like 13777 or something, way more than I have ever seen…

So I decided to put it to the 3DM 2003. Wow… I know that I’m going to sound behind the times but I have never seen all of the tests on any of my machines including my lappy. Then to see all but the GPU tests run at full speed, WOW… I don’t know how 10740 compares to dual HT Xeons (2.2g @ 400) stock with other and newer rigs but I can say that it was a very pleasant change to see that much improvement in just upgrading those two things….

Just for the fun of it I installed AquaMark and ran it also. Ran the test at the high performance presetting and scored 46.627 or 46.63fps which I didn’t think was too shabby either. There were some real cool seines in that one that I also had not viewed at full fps, definitely better to see the battle seine at speed… :)

-Just sharing,
“g”

Well I just had a WD 250gb JB drive crap out on me so I decided based on the price of stuff that I would upgrade to a newer generation video card before AGP starts to get scarce. So I went with the Seagate 400gb 16meg 7200 drive and an ATI All-N-Wonder X800 with 256meg DDR3.

Since I lost the drive I new that a reinstall would be required.
After installing XP Pro SLP w/SP 2 and the very latest ATI drivers I updated XP and installed the latest drivers for my 3ware 7450 I installed 3DMark 2001se and ran that it was something like 13777 or something, way more than I have ever seen…

So I decided to put it to the 3DM 2003. Wow… I know that I’m going to sound behind the times but I have never seen all of the tests on any of my machines including my lappy. Then to see all but the GPU tests run at full speed, WOW… I don’t know how 10740 compares to dual HT Xeons (2.2g @ 400) stock with other and newer rigs but I can say that it was a very pleasant change to see that much improvement in just upgrading those two things….

Just for the fun of it I installed AquaMark and ran it also. Ran the test at the high performance presetting and scored 46.627 or 46.63fps which I didn’t think was too shabby either. There were some real cool seines in that one that I also had not viewed at full fps, definitely better to see the battle seine at speed… 

-Just sharing,
“g”

Comments

• gtghmgtghm New
    edited May 2006
    For Video is it better to have seperate free space drives set up one for the Video and one for the Audio? I capture via I-Link (EEE1394) I was going to set up one main drive and use a free space of Raid 0 raided WDJB 100gig drives for that, if so how much of a difference would I see?

"g"
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It sounds like a decent upgrade, g. For your video/audio questions, I don't have a clue! Sorry!
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited May 2006
    I'm sure that I'm most likely behind most in if you have already experienced the beauty of the any of the new ATI All-n-wonder cards this is my first and all I gotta say is WOW! :D

I just hooked up my cable to it and am currently DVR'ing a program on amctv

No box so all I get is standard cable with out a box.

But if I get Direct TV in the future, which I am thinking about, I could see getting an extra HD box and plug it into my PC...

I can even see making this a total media PC. I'm not sure how good the play back would be on say a 48" Flat screen or plasma with the HDMI or Component in but in theroy I can pipe the stuff from my PC to the Flat screen...

It is awsome... :thumbsup:

:D