Faster Pentium M's?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Hardware
Will we ever be seeing a faster Pentium M than the 2.26GHz variant? Just curious becuase it'd be nice if next year I could just do a small upgrade on my laptop instead of getting a new one :)

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Umm..conroe is comming right? I think they are going to be replaced by merom processors if I remember right. the pentium m's are about done?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    The main thing is... will I be able to upgrade to these new chips :)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    From what I here "Core 2"/Conroe...whatever name they are going by, will be compatible with the core duo processors with at the most a bios update.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I have the 915 chipset, I thought those core duo's; while sharing the same socket; requires the 945 chipset.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    yes Duos need 945... you will be stuck with the P "M" forever... :(
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Thus why I am wondering if they'll ever sell any Pentium M's at 2.%GHz or more?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I think the Pentium M line is dead. they might still make the CPU's they have already But I don't see Intel pushing that tech any longer... as in their words they are "leaping ahead" ...
  • edited May 2006
    Yeah, what Sledge is saying is right. P-M is at the end of it's development road, AFAIK at 2.26 GHz. With that said, there is still the possibility of buying a 400 fsb P-M and then wire tricking it to a 133 fsb and getting faster. If you can find a Dothan 845 (1.8/400) and wire trick it, you would have a 2.4 GHz P-M. But, you might have to try 2-3 procs before you find 1 that is totally stable at that speed with stock vcore. Like any other overclocking, it's a crapshoot.

A desktop P-M rig with the Asus CT-479 would be ideal for testing the processors with though.

Or you can do like me and just live with what you got for a while longer and then upgrade by buying a new laptop later.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Yeah a new laptop wouldn't occur for like a year or so... I just got this one lol