which usb is connected?

edited May 2006 in Hardware
When I put in a device, how can I tell if it is USB1 or USB2?
Some cameras clam to be USB2 but are not.
Is there a way to see if it really is a USB2 device?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    There is nothing visually different about the device or its cable, unless you can find the USB2 'trident' logo. It looks just like the USB logo, except it says 'USB 2.0' under the trident.

For USB2 to work, everything in the chain must be USB2 compatable. The OS must support it (XP does) the port itself must be a USB2 port. The cable must be a USB2 cabl;e, and the device must be USB2 compatable. If any of those things are USB instead of USB2, then it will run at USB speeds.

Also, Windows XP has a feature that warns you if you are only getting USB speed from a USB2 port. it will pop-up a bolloon that says esentially: "This device would work faster if it was USB 2.0 compatable! Click here to learn more."

If you've got a USB2 port, and your device does not get that warning when you plug it in, then XP beleives that it is operating at USB2 speeds.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    CB Droege wrote:
    There is nothing visually different about the device or its cable, unless you can find the USB2 'trident' logo. It looks just like the USB logo, except it says 'USB 2.0' under the trident.

For USB2 to work, everything in the chain must be USB2 compatable. The OS must support it (XP does) the port itself must be a USB2 port. The cable must be a USB2 cabl;e, and the device must be USB2 compatable. If any of those things are USB instead of USB2, then it will run at USB speeds.

Also, Windows XP has a feature that warns you if you are only getting USB speed from a USB2 port. it will pop-up a bolloon that says esentially: "This device would work faster if it was USB 2.0 compatable! Click here to learn more."

If you've got a USB2 port, and your device does not get that warning when you plug it in, then XP beleives that it is operating at USB2 speeds.

Very close - but not quite. The message appears if a USB2.0 device is connecting at USB1.1 speeds. This happens if, for instance, the USB2.0 device is plugged into a USB1.1 port. If you plug in a USB1.1 device to a USB2 port, however, the message doesn't appear, since Windows knows that the device is operating at its full speed. Also, the cables, I think, are fully compatible and interchangeable between USB and USB2 without a loss of speed - I am not 100% certain about that however.