So I want to buy a laptop....

yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
edited May 2006 in Hardware
I just had to turn my work laptop in and I got kind of used to having one when I travel. I'd like a reasonably powerful one that can handle games (I'm a 1PS addict), music and photos so I'd like to max out storage. I do some home recording (bass and guitar) as well. I don't want to spend more than $2K.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts on reconditioned ones?

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I like IBM notebooks but I can't honestly say they're great at gaming. Gaming performance is really a function of how nice the built-in screen is and whether or not it has a discrete graphics chipset (ie, one that doesn't share system memory).

Unfortunately, a notebook's weight and size are directly related to its gaming ability. From what you've mentioned you're looking for more of a desktop-replacement luggable than a lightweight or balanced laptop. IMHO anything weighing more than 7lb and having a screen size larger than 15" is a luggable.

Doubly unfortunately, 7200RPM notebook hard drives top out at 100GB so I hope you don't have very much photos or music. Going down to 5400RPM or 4800RPM will increase your storage capacity but at the cost of greatly reduced disk performance (think long load times for games and slow OS response).

Notebooks don't come with decent sound. If you plan to use your notebook for anything other than casual listening you will need a discrete sound card. I have had good experiences with Creative's Audigy2 ZS notebook edition.

I'm pretty sure HP offers a notebook with decent graphics and some under-the-hood power because I know someone that has one and I schooled some newbies at a Frys electronics on their demo-stand version. I have no idea how much it costs though. You may also want to check out Sager notebooks. I have a friend with a bunch of them that swears by them for gaming.

I would avoid Dell like the plague. Too many bad experiences there.

-drasnor :fold:
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited May 2006
    Thanks. Yeah, weight is not really an issue for me. Are soundcards difficult to switch out on laptops?
  • edited May 2006
    Well, I'm not a gamer so I can't offer advice from that aspect. However, I have to contradict drasnor as I would heartily recommend Dell. I've purchased many systems (desktop and laptop) from them and they simply work great. My latest laptop purchase was the Inspiron 6400. It is the FIRST laptop I've ever seen that I would consider using as a desktop replacement.

JMHO, YMMV.
    Dan
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    I'm thinking you can get some Alienwares for under 2k.
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited May 2006
    I've heard Alienware is a bit overhyped.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html
    http://powernotebooks.com/

Both companies are amazing, and much cheaper for the components than you can find elsewhere.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited May 2006
    If weight isn't really an issue have you considered an external hard drive? I'm thinking a 300GB USB2 drive is probably much cheaper than trying to upgrade a laptop to that spec. It's an extra thing to carry around of course, but if you're not bothered about that it seems a reasonable solution.
  • edited May 2006
    I was curious the other day and looked around at laptops that would be good for gaming and found that if you up your high end price to around $2500 you can get a damn nice setup. Dell has the E1705, which you can get the GeForce Go7900 video card in it with a 120 GB 5400 rpm hard drive. Here's the config I played with:

T2500 Core Duo Processor
    1 GB DC PC2-667 ram
    XP Media Center with install disk ($10 extra for the disk, otherwise is stricly image off hard drive for restoring)
    17" UXGA screen
    120 GB 5400 rpm hard drive
    8X DL DVD burner
    256 MG GeForce Go 7900GS video subsystem
    Integrated Soundblaster Audigy HD Audio
    3 year at home warrantee
    free recycle kit (hey, it was free :D )

I didn't buy their BS stuff like a productivity suite or 1 year subscription for antivirus; you can get free antivirus off the net and Open Office if you don't already have an Office suite.

Total-$2464

This would make a damn fine gaming machine and would also do anything else you want to do too. Plus, this does have an easy upgrade path to Merom if you want to run a 64 bit OS later with just a bios flash involved.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I have the 2:17 Power Pro from Powernotebooks.com and damn I love this baby, $1,800 is how much i paid at the time. It plays my games really well, has 2GB of DDR2 memory, 2GHz P-M, 100GB 7200RPM HDD(upgraded after buy), X700 Radeon Mobility... played BF2 really well, plays GTA:SA maxed, and many others better than I thought.

I..... I just love this laptop. Did I mention the 17" LCD? Ohh... My... God... I have never seen such a crisp and clear display that matches it.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I agree. Spending a bit on a Laptop gives a great feeling i must say. I got the new XPS M1710 last week and i haven't touched the other rigs since then. I just use Remote Desktop from the lapper. 3 Remote connections, a million programs in the background, Mediaplayer, Office etc. I can still run wow at 1900X1200 and totally maxed settings.

Core Duo 1,66
    2GB DDR667 ram
    7900 GTX GO 512

Does 8K flat 3dmark 05 stock. 9,500 with the card overclocked.
    All this for $2300. It's a huge investment, i know, but i do travel a lot + that i wanna work from the balcony this summer and still be able to play games :D
    I'm bringing it to the Lan as well. Viewing true HD content is a dream on this machine.