Help ! Motherboard doesn't seem to Beep / Post. No Display.

ShakShak Northern VA
edited June 2010 in Hardware
Hello everyone,

I did a search for a problem I started having recently and now it has escalated to the point where I'm clueless as to what could be causing it.

I'll start with my specs first and then go into the heart of the probem:

Asus A7N8X Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Proc.
2 Maxtor 120GB SATA HDD
2 WD 250GB IDE HDD
ATI 9800PRO AIW Video Card
Antec Sonata Case with stock 380watt powersupply.

Alright. The problem got more serious today when I tried to put my the refurb 250gb I got a few days back. I put it in my system in place of the other 250gb to do some diagnostic tests (I downloaded the WD Tools and put them on a floppy).

So, I create the diagnostic tool disk, put it in the drive, and put the new hard drive in there. Load the system up and it seems to work fine. It shows me the 'Boot from ATAPI CD-Rom..." twice (This seems to be normal,and I have 2 disc drives) and then it seems to stall. The floppy doesnt seem like its being loaded so I restart.

This time, I took the floppy disk out of the drive, and waited for it to load window. It went to the same place again (Boot from cd rom..) and then it stopped. I think that it was having a problem with the refurb hard drive (I'm thinking that its bad at this point).

No big deal right? I turn the system off, take the refurb out, and put the working one back in. Reboot. This time, the display doesnt work. The monitor's light just seem to blink as if it was in sleep mode.

I had the same problem a few days ago with the same refurb hard drive (The first time I tried to plug it in and see if it would work). The first thought t me was that the video card must be causing this. I took my 9800Pro out and put it back in. that time, everything seemed to work fine.

I figured I could just do the same thing again. I took the video card out, put it back in, but this time the problem was still there. I begin troubleshooting so I remove the working 250gb hard drive. Samething.

I remove the non OS Maxtor HDD. Same thing. I unplug the power to the disc drives thinking maybe its a power issue. Same thing.

During all this time that I am trying to boot it up, the motherboard doesn't make any beeps. There are two lights in the motherboard, one green, and one red. Everytime I turn it on, the greenone always seems to be lit indicating that it is working, however there is no Beep that it sounds to confirm that Bios has loaded. Additionally, all the fans (PSU, CPU, and video card's GPU fan) seem to be working fine.

I continue trouble shooting by removing my remaining hard drive from the system. Same thing. I take out one stick of Ram. Same thing. At this point, I check the manual and reset CMOS. Once I reboot, its the same problem again.

Finally, upon advice from a friend, I take the video card out, thinking that it may be the cause of the problem. I put in my older ATI 8500DV AIW in place of it, connect the power to the card, and try again. The motherboard still doesn't seem to beep / boot. The display doesnt seem to work.

At this point, out of desperation, I take out the video card. Now the only things connected are the floppy drive and 1 stick of ram (ofcourse the processor too). This also results in the same problem. It just doesn't seem to want to POST. The monitor doesnt seem to turn on or anything. This is where I notice that something is severely wrong. I check the motherboard's manual and it tells me that if there is no video card, it should Beep once, and then 3 short beeps again. I hear nothing.

I am thinking that the motherboard has gone bad, but I had the same problem a few days ago, and after replugging the video card, it worked fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to try next? I have another motherboard on me but I dont have any thermal paste to put the CPU on it. On top of that, it is quite a lot of work to put in a new motherboard in.

I guess at this point I'm out of options and I'll have to put in that Abit motherboard, unless anyone has any alternate suggestions?

Overall, my problem seems to most closely resemble this post ( http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25300 ) though I'm sure that the CPU is indeed plugged in correctly.
Thanks a lot for reading this far !

Shak

Comments

• CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited May 2006
    During all this time that I am trying to boot it up, the motherboard doesn't make any beeps. There are two lights in the motherboard, one green, and one red. Everytime I turn it on, the greenone always seems to be lit indicating that it is working, however there is no Beep that it sounds to confirm that Bios has loaded. Additionally, all the fans (PSU, CPU, and video card's GPU fan) seem to be working fine

If I remember correctly, the green LED indicates power to the MB and the red LED indicates an AGP fault.
    Your problem certainly seems to be video related.

I would also suspect the power supply. Can you try another PSU?
  • ShakShak Northern VA
    edited May 2006
    I don't have another power supply on with me though the fans on both video cards that I tried seem to work fine. The red light has never turned on, even in the absense of a video card.
  • edited May 2006
    I'm having the same problem with Asus A7N8X. Did you figure it out yet???? HP has replaced this MB 4 times I don't know what to try next.
  • ShakShak Northern VA
    edited May 2006
    Nope didn't figure it out. I put my old ABIT motherboard back in. I am going to RMA it soon.

I advise you do the same. That motherboard is just trouble.
  • edited May 2006
    Shak wrote:
    Nope didn't figure it out. I put my old ABIT motherboard back in. I am going to RMA it soon.

I advise you do the same. That motherboard is just trouble.

ok thanks same here
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited May 2006
    Just had another look at your first post, you're running 4 hard drives on that rig with only a 380W PSU.

I would definitely have another look at a power supply as I suggested first of all.
  • edited January 2009
    helper wrote:
    Hello everyone,

I live in Brazil, most of our PCs are home/small business assembled machines and so we see the crazyest things around when we mix all harware from different manufactures.

ASUS motherboards are very sensitive to AGP/Video grounding.
    Seams you have a ground problem.

Try to switch OFF both the CPU and the MONITOR for 3 minutes !!!
    Switch on everything again, if the PC post up and start, you definitively have a lack in your ground instalation because, the MONITOR are sharing his ground across the video card to the motherboard.

Excuse my english...
    helper
  • edited June 2010
    Shak wrote:
    Hello everyone,

I did a search for a problem I started having recently and now it has escalated to the point where I'm clueless as to what could be causing it.

I'll start with my specs first and then go into the heart of the probem:

Asus A7N8X Motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Proc.
    2 Maxtor 120GB SATA HDD
    2 WD 250GB IDE HDD
    ATI 9800PRO AIW Video Card
    Antec Sonata Case with stock 380watt powersupply.

Alright. The problem got more serious today when I tried to put my the refurb 250gb I got a few days back. I put it in my system in place of the other 250gb to do some diagnostic tests (I downloaded the WD Tools and put them on a floppy).

So, I create the diagnostic tool disk, put it in the drive, and put the new hard drive in there. Load the system up and it seems to work fine. It shows me the 'Boot from ATAPI CD-Rom..." twice (This seems to be normal,and I have 2 disc drives) and then it seems to stall. The floppy doesnt seem like its being loaded so I restart.

This time, I took the floppy disk out of the drive, and waited for it to load window. It went to the same place again (Boot from cd rom..) and then it stopped. I think that it was having a problem with the refurb hard drive (I'm thinking that its bad at this point).

No big deal right? I turn the system off, take the refurb out, and put the working one back in. Reboot. This time, the display doesnt work. The monitor's light just seem to blink as if it was in sleep mode.

I had the same problem a few days ago with the same refurb hard drive (The first time I tried to plug it in and see if it would work). The first thought t me was that the video card must be causing this. I took my 9800Pro out and put it back in. that time, everything seemed to work fine.

I figured I could just do the same thing again. I took the video card out, put it back in, but this time the problem was still there. I begin troubleshooting so I remove the working 250gb hard drive. Samething.

I remove the non OS Maxtor HDD. Same thing. I unplug the power to the disc drives thinking maybe its a power issue. Same thing.

During all this time that I am trying to boot it up, the motherboard doesn't make any beeps. There are two lights in the motherboard, one green, and one red. Everytime I turn it on, the greenone always seems to be lit indicating that it is working, however there is no Beep that it sounds to confirm that Bios has loaded. Additionally, all the fans (PSU, CPU, and video card's GPU fan) seem to be working fine.

I continue trouble shooting by removing my remaining hard drive from the system. Same thing. I take out one stick of Ram. Same thing. At this point, I check the manual and reset CMOS. Once I reboot, its the same problem again.

Finally, upon advice from a friend, I take the video card out, thinking that it may be the cause of the problem. I put in my older ATI 8500DV AIW in place of it, connect the power to the card, and try again. The motherboard still doesn't seem to beep / boot. The display doesnt seem to work.

At this point, out of desperation, I take out the video card. Now the only things connected are the floppy drive and 1 stick of ram (ofcourse the processor too). This also results in the same problem. It just doesn't seem to want to POST. The monitor doesnt seem to turn on or anything. This is where I notice that something is severely wrong. I check the motherboard's manual and it tells me that if there is no video card, it should Beep once, and then 3 short beeps again. I hear nothing.

I am thinking that the motherboard has gone bad, but I had the same problem a few days ago, and after replugging the video card, it worked fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to try next? I have another motherboard on me but I dont have any thermal paste to put the CPU on it. On top of that, it is quite a lot of work to put in a new motherboard in.

I guess at this point I'm out of options and I'll have to put in that Abit motherboard, unless anyone has any alternate suggestions?

Overall, my problem seems to most closely resemble this post ( http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25300 ) though I'm sure that the CPU is indeed plugged in correctly.
    Thanks a lot for reading this far !

Shak

Hi This is WASEEM The problem will be with ur Motherboard its short
    circuited due to voltage fluctuation from ur SMPS firstly check UR SMPS Output voltage using a multimeter .then u can find voltage variations in the output voltage....
  • edited June 2010
    waseem1212 wrote:

Hi This is WASEEM The problem will be with ur Motherboard its short
    circuited due to voltage fluctuation from ur SMPS firstly check UR SMPS Output voltage using a multimeter .then u can find voltage variations in the output voltage.... it will be better to replace ur SMPS ,for any queries U can mail me at waseem7827@hotmail.com I will be happy 2 help U....