new self build problem booting

edited June 2006 in Hardware
hi this week I put together the following

asus A8N sli deluxe mobo

500w psu (atx)

4 sticks of samsung 512mb ddr400 pc3200 (so 2048mb)

amd athlon64 3500+ cpu

maxtor serial ata 250gb hdd

asus nvidea geforce 6800gt 256mb pci express (card)

2 x dvd rw drives LG and NEC

1 x SONY floppy disk drive

When all conected including the power to the graphics card I switched the switch on the psu to enable power usage and instantly a 1 second power surge rushed through the pc (lights came on on the led fans attatched to the case then went off) with the case power button on the off setting.

I then pressed the case power button and everything came on as though was working fine booted into bios and changed the date settings with all drives being located okay.

when saving and exiting to install os the pc wouldnt boot up again at all.

even after turning mains power off and back on again still no boot up but fans on cpu, card, and lights e.tc are on.

after leaving it aday to come back to and rebuild to make sure no silly mistakes had been over looked the same problem as above occured.

I have given my mate the video card to test on his pc to try to eliminate problems e.t.c

Ive tried 1 stick of ram and reset the bios jumber and battery thing.

there was three steady beeps coming from the mobo speaker but this problem seems to have stopped only today

if any one has any help or knowledge they can pass over to us I would be most gratefull.....

cheers gaz....

Comments

• EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited June 2006
    First I should start with only one memory slot in the motherboard, and disconnect one or both DVD units.

If it then starts up okay (all the times), then update the bios, if needed.
    Then insert the 2'nd memory, and test the system.

If it doesn't start up, disconnect the HDD.

The PSU shuts down the system during the start up procedure, because too much current is drawn from the unit, or the PSU is bad.

How much amps can the PSU deliver on the 5V, 3.3V and 12V rails ?

Check the voltage on the rails, with an multimeter
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2006
    for ami bios 3 beeps usually means bad ram. try each stick buy itself in each slot , if that does not work try it in another machine. if it works then your board my be bad.