What do you like about your LCD?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Hardware
Just curious about other owners of these LCD's? I got my 2005FPW and I keep finding cool new things about it. Right now I have the PIP running for my Gamecube, the only downside I have is that there are no speakers on this monitor, I'll have to remedy that soon. But I love the switching feature that allows me to change which connection to use on the back.

So for my desktop I use the DVI connector, for my gamecube the RCA video connector, soon I'll have a VGA connector so I can hook up my laptop to the VGA, and I'll probably get something for the other connections as well... I am still figuring out how to switch between the conector types. Like I dunno how to get full screen RCA video, so far only PIP lol.

Comments

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I've never had an LCD monitor, except on my laptop. Are desktop LCD's really that much easier on your eyes than CRT monitors? I'd like to get an LCD someday soon. Having less available viewing angle concerns me.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    On my 2405FPW there's a row of LED's numbered 1 through 5 that indicate the currently-active input (1=VGA, 2=DVI, 3=Composite, 4=S-Video, 5=Component). The leftmost-button on the right side of the monitor changes inputs sequentially when pressed.

I don't know if I just have bad luck with CRTs but all the large ones I've ever had can't keep the entire screen in focus. I settled for having the center in focus and accepting the blur at the edges. Also, despite all my fiddling I could never get the color to be uniform (fill the entire screen with white, certain spots will have red tint and others will have green). Plus you get the degaussing clap of thunder anytime you turn it on.

LCD's are maintenance-free. Older LCD's have the viewing angle problem but my 2405FPW and my ThinkPad's LCD don't have it (179.9 degree viewable). It gets a little darker at about 30/150 degrees but most people don't use their monitor that far out.

-drasnor :fold:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Yeah I have 1-4, and I figured out how to switch. I now play Zelda with full screen ;)

I can see my screen at any angle, it's nice about that. Going from CRT to LCD is like going from a ball mouse to an optical/laser mouse. I love it.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Yea man. This 2005FPW is nice. Visual from angles = no problem.
    Super, that you can plug in 4 different peripherals and switch between them.
    i also like the height adjustment on it. I can fit my dual Bose speakers under it nicely.
    I'll have to get a pic up for you to see.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    Yea man. This 2005FPW is nice. Visual from angles = no problem.
    Super, that you can plug in 4 different peripherals and switch between them.
    i also like the height adjustment on it. I can fit my dual Bose speakers under it nicely.
    I'll have to get a pic up for you to see.
    I have a generic brand (hyvision), but I love it. It's 17'' and it has 1 dead pixel near the right edge, which I don't even notice unless the whole screen is one solid color. I got it for $175 shipped I think with 6ms response, so its a real good value as long as it lasts. I use to have a CRT, and I didn't think it was that bad till I got this. The text was SOOOOOO Blurry on my crt. Not to mention it was a dust magnet...
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited May 2006
    I resisted getting a LCD for quite a while.
    I like how thin it is, the old CRT had to be to one side (neck ache) but now my 19 inch LCD is right in front of me - 2 foot from my eyes! no problem at all. I play quite a lot of online FPS games and it performs at least as well as any CRT I've had. I like how little power it consumes. I love it so much I got my son one and when the last CRT dies it will be replaced with LED. CRT is dead I think.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Tim wrote:
    Are desktop LCD's really that much easier on your eyes than CRT monitors? I'd like to get an LCD someday soon. Having less available viewing angle concerns me.
    After a week of using my LCD, I can tell you it's a pleasure on the eyes because you can set LCD's to higher pixel count ( Mine is at 1152X864 at the moment) which equates to finer deffinition in pictures and print.
    Also, I have my refresh rate at 75 Mhz., which is (a happy) on the eyes also.
    As for the angle. I can turn this LCD almost to where I can't see the screen and still have absolutely no problem seeing what's displayed. So, There's no loss of picture on angles like laptops. with this LCD anyway.
    bothered wrote:
    I love it so much I got my son one and when the last CRT dies it will be replaced with LED. CRT is dead I think.
    Funny, I never really thought about it till having an LCD, but it does look like the CRT will go into the obsolete file in the coming years. Just like so many other pc parts that tech has found new and better ways to shrink them, make them faster, more efficient energy wise. It's a good thing. :rockon:

I'm working on getting a switch and putting 4 pc's on the wall with the switch in between, so i can run all 4 in the office here on a Logitech cordless MX700 Combo keyboard and mouse. With a set of Bose Mediamate speakers.... http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=3064105
    Excellent sound quality and more output than I can use in this small office.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited May 2006
    What do i like about my LCD??

It's 24".
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I only recently bought an LCD after kicking against it for some time (although the obscene price is what kept me from buying one more than anything else). What a difference!!! 19" in your face!! The screen looks huge and with the higher resolution... much crisper.

I noticed a large saving in power. My UPS always registered a total power draw of 263 watts when I had my CRT, now it's dropped down to 178 watts and the battery time has increased by quite a few minutes.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    When I bought my LCD I immediately noticed a huge difference in the picture quality. Everything seemed sharper, more in focus, and the colors were alot brighter. I cant really think of anything negative about LCD's other than their price.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Winga wrote:
    I noticed a large saving in power. My UPS always registered a total power draw of 263 watts when I had my CRT, now it's dropped down to 178 watts and the battery time has increased by quite a few minutes.
    Haven't even thought of the savings in power consumption and extended battery time. That's another big plus for the LCD. :thumbup
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited May 2006
    Tim wrote:
    I've never had an LCD monitor, except on my laptop. Are desktop LCD's really that much easier on your eyes than CRT monitors? I'd like to get an LCD someday soon. Having less available viewing angle concerns me.

It's alot better on your eyes honestly. The human eye can see the frames all the way up to 60fps, and your eyes will involluntarily strain with all that sensory input. Which is one reason why alot of people get headaches sitting behind a CRT monitor.