Files not loading on bootup

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Hi all -- I'm one of those idiots that bought a PC with no Windows XP Home CD. No problem until my main 36 gig C: drive suddenly won't load about 75% of files on bootup. I've checked the Ntbtlog.txt. Some things like Control Panel, SFC, CHKDSK, OE, Recycle Bin & software work OK, but Services, Restore, Recovery, Modem, Search, Drag & Drop, Audio, Video & a few more are disabled. I can boot into C: alright, tho it takes about 3 times as long as it used to. Now -- about 2 years ago I installed XP Windows on a small 4 gig partition (D:) so I have a multiple boot system. Windows on this partition works perfectly & is very fast I think because it's pretty basic & uncluttered. But all my main operating software etc is on C: so I'm kind of limited. Not having an XP CD and with Recovery & Restore disabled how am I to make a repair on C:? Is there some way I can reverse the process -- make an image of the non-corrupted Windows files on D: and reinstall back on C:? I'd probably have to reformat C:. I've made backups so I'm all ready to go. But what are my options if any? I know this is quite a complex situation of mine and have noticed in the past that posts like mine often get read, but not replied to. So I'm not holding my breath!! However I'm ever hopeful.

Comments

• EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    Well losing something after 4 years of time, it's out of my scope since I reinstall the XP every 2 months or so ...
    It used to be once every 2 weeks, that's before I had enough ;)

Every partition I have is around 20 GB, some folks i satisfied with 10 GB's.
    And you are having 4 GB :scratch:
    The defragmenting system needs some room to move files into.

Try to repair the system first, before reformat and reinstall the XP.

You might even consider getting a new harddisk.